PheesOriginal

Weaver Easy Edger Marking Bottom Side of Leather

My Easy Edger is leaving lines on the bottom side of the strap where it comes into contact with the feet that press the leather against the blades. 

I’ve tried adjusting the position of those feet but it seems when the feet are loose enough to not mark the leather they aren’t keeping enough pressure on the strap and when they’re tight enough to keep the leather pressed against the blade they’re marking the leather. 

Has anyone dealt with this issue before? Weaver suggested I adjust the foot position but alas, here we are.

Is this just a compromise people make for the convenience of easy strap edging? I’d just as soon bevel them by hand as to leave marks in my leather. The only straps I use are Wickett & Craig Harness leather which seems to be quite susceptible to this issue.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

712ECCF0-A4C9-4F7D-853D-C2D7BD345C26.jpeg

E2026E36-C6C9-4165-A60D-232CDBCE3EFE.jpeg

Edited by PheesOriginal
Oversight after first posting.

It appears that the mfgr. didn't break the edges properly on the machine. Those marks were made by a pretty sharp edge. Maybe file and polish those to a slight round?

On 1/2/2022 at 2:33 PM, PheesOriginal said:

My Easy Edger is leaving lines on the bottom side of the strap where it comes into contact with the feet that press the leather against the blades. 

I’ve tried adjusting the position of those feet but it seems when the feet are loose enough to not mark the leather they aren’t keeping enough pressure on the strap and when they’re tight enough to keep the leather pressed against the blade they’re marking the leather. 

Has anyone dealt with this issue before? Weaver suggested I adjust the foot position but alas, here we are.

Is this just a compromise people make for the convenience of easy strap edging? I’d just as soon bevel them by hand as to leave marks in my leather. The only straps I use are Wickett & Craig Harness leather which seems to be quite susceptible to this issue.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

712ECCF0-A4C9-4F7D-853D-C2D7BD345C26.jpeg

E2026E36-C6C9-4165-A60D-232CDBCE3EFE.jpeg

I just got mine last week and Im having the same issue. I contacted weaver and did the adjustments they suggested but I have the same result.

6 hours ago, TheHollerLW said:

I just got mine last week and Im having the same issue. I contacted weaver and did the adjustments they suggested but I have the same result.

On 1/2/2022 at 7:33 PM, PheesOriginal said:

Weaver suggested I adjust the foot position but alas, here we are.

As these are pretty pricey items why not just return the item and have Weaver correct the problem, replace the item or refund your money?

kgg

12 hours ago, kgg said:

As these are pretty pricey items why not just return the item and have Weaver correct the problem, replace the item or refund your money?

kgg

Weaver told me its normal and said to adjust them down a bit and try to stretch out the tension springs. I tired that and got the same result.

11 minutes ago, TheHollerLW said:

Weaver told me its normal and said to adjust them down a bit and try to stretch out the tension springs. I tired that and got the same result.

I would contact them again to see what the next step is.

kgg

Just now, kgg said:

I would contact them again to see what the next step is.

kgg

modifying the tension levers that are making the mark on the leather 

1 minute ago, TheHollerLW said:

modifying the tension levers that are making the mark on the leather

You doing the modification or them?

kgg

3 minutes ago, TheHollerLW said:

Myself

Have they given you instructions on what and how to do the modification? If that modification doesn't work and the parts are damaged what is the next step?

kgg 

Its not much of a modification, there is a small sharp edge/ bur on top of the lever. A quick polish is my game plan. I reached out to them for there recommendation before I do it.