Big K

Snap Conchos

I know there are things you can order for converting screw on conchos to snaps but it seems to me that it would be simpler (and cheaper) to just find the right size flathead screw and use a leather washer as needed. Has anyone done this or have any idea of what size screw I should be looking for? I hate to keep making companies richer when it's something I can do myself.

26 minutes ago, Big K said:

I know there are things you can order for converting screw on conchos to snaps but it seems to me that it would be simpler (and cheaper) to just find the right size flathead screw and use a leather washer as needed. Has anyone done this or have any idea of what size screw I should be looking for? I hate to keep making companies richer when it's something I can do myself.

You can cut them out completely and make your own Conchos then you can  use whatever screw you want all you do is solder them on the back. buy or make a doming block. https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/chisels-punches-stamps/25-piece-doming-block-and-punch-set-93539.html

The head on the "converting screw" is pretty small.  I haven't ever found hardware to work with a head that small.  The threads are the same as for a Chicago screw or for screws for  cabinet/drawer handles.  To use either of them there is time spent cutting and reshaping them to fit your snap.  You can make it work but is it worth it?  Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction of some bulk supply of "converting screws".

It sounds like this is what you may be looking for.

jr

CONCHO SNAP ADAPTER 10 PACK

$3.99
or4 interest-free paymentson orders over$35with
SKU 11383-00