bellehilmer

sealing flesh side of chrome tanned leather

I've seen this topic on here a couple times, but I am working with chrome tanned leather and am hoping someone might have a suggestion specifically for chrome tanned. The project I am working on will be a bin that is cut and folded, so there will be bends and the bins will be used daily. The concern is that since the flesh side of this leather is a light color the shoes and equipment being held in the bins will mark up the leather, or that they will look dirty with use. Does anyone know a good seal/coating that will last and will be effective on chrome tanned leather? Thank you!

premium harvest 2.png

:sign23:I'm interested too

On 1/18/2022 at 8:41 AM, bellehilmer said:

Does anyone know a good seal/coating that will last and will be effective on chrome tanned leather?

In a word... Tokonole. It comes in clear, brown and black. It is a water based burnishing agent. You apply it (can use a microfiber cloth), then work it into the leather with a glass burnisher. This will provide a good seal to the flesh side of your chrome tanned leather.

https://www.amazon.com/Seiwa-Tokonole-Leather-Burnishing-Leathercraft/dp/B017X8GKZA/ref=pd_sbs_5/142-4591688-3861767?pd_rd_w=HYTfv&pf_rd_p=4b6b5072-e9bd-4f30-a3af-a1f5d52978ec&pf_rd_r=AX9KBQWR9ETXS500JJGE&pd_rd_r=406800ec-031a-4a05-926f-645bd90469b6&pd_rd_wg=iv1v4&pd_rd_i=B017X8GKZA&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JAOB2K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tokonole.jpg

Glass burnisher.jpg

Edited by LatigoAmigo

awesome thank you:thumbsup:

I'm using gum trag and a large glass slicker from SLC to seal the flesh side of veg tan straps for bridles.  Will experiment with chrome tanned but I doubt there's a difference in this regard.

1 hour ago, TomE said:

I'm using gum trag and a large glass slicker from SLC to seal the flesh side of veg tan straps for bridles.  Will experiment with chrome tanned but I doubt there's a difference in this regard.

Interesting i have never had seal the flesh side of any of my bridles unless i have split something down. Just wondering why and what leather are you using.

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

3 hours ago, jcuk said:

Interesting i have never had seal the flesh side of any of my bridles unless i have split something down. Just wondering why and what leather are you using.

JCUK

Guess I like the smooth look on the backs of pieces that aren’t padded. For my first couple of bridles I’ve used Hermann Oak veg tan and Fiebings Pro dye, which tends to raise the fibers on the flesh side. I’m still working out my process and welcome your suggestions. I notice that some saddlers add wallpaper paste to their edge dye. I haven’t tried harness leather which may be a better choice for bridles.

Get back tomorrow watching my football team win and its not (soccer) its football and a glass of wine or three of wine probably won't make sense.

Edited by jcuk

18 hours ago, TomE said:

Guess I like the smooth look on the backs of pieces that aren’t padded. For my first couple of bridles I’ve used Hermann Oak veg tan and Fiebings Pro dye, which tends to raise the fibers on the flesh side. I’m still working out my process and welcome your suggestions. I notice that some saddlers add wallpaper paste to their edge dye. I haven’t tried harness leather which may be a better choice for bridles.

Have you not tried English bridle leather that Hermann Oak and Wickett & Craig carry never used it myself but English Bridle leather this side of the pond is finished on the grain and flesh side so i am taking  HO and W&C would be the same meaning no work needed on the flesh side unless you split it. I get my leather from Abbey England which is Sedgwick heavy bridle leather 4/4.5mm because most of my work is for the horse racing also use their Sedgwick rein back 4/4.5mm because in horse racing the reins are normally longer than normal bridles. I also get bridle leather from Metropolitan leather. I have not used wall paste but i know some do, i like Fiebling edge enamel does not shine up well but does seal the edges well, another method i like to use is normal edge stain and then go over the top of it with Astral wax and give it a good burnish again seals the edges well. Another thing i use the Astral wax for is the flesh of leather to seal it works well only done this on veg tan but don't see any reason it would not work on chrome tanned.   

Hope this helps

JCUK 

Edited by jcuk

Thanks @jcuk!  I do use HO bridle for halters but the flesh side is covered by padding or multiple layers stitched together back to back. My current bridle sides are 10-12 oz and I’d probably split them to 9 oz for a bridle.  I’ll check out the Astral wax.  I’ve been using Fiebings Aussie conditioner for burnishing edges and as a finish for HO bridle. It’s a balm with beeswax and undisclosed other stuff. I like it because it doesn’t lift dye and discolor thread, and it doesn’t darken the leather. Plan to try bridle leather from Sedgwick and W&C to compare with HO. Also, unsure how harness leather compares with bridle leather and might need to try it.