Davm

Push Beaders

Okay- I tried making one myself.  Doesn't work all that well so I am asking for help.  There are some leather working tools that are "no brainers:, you really can't do it wrong. Other tools require some what of the artistic touch.  On push beader- NOT FOR an edge but for parallel lines in a pattern- does it require some time to develop its use?  My issues are the two lines won't have an equal depth and between the lines, I wanted sort of a rounded on top effect.

Try cutting one from nylon or HDPE. On the end of a short bar, to fit into a swivel knife

I know these ain't a beader, they are 'bevellers, but the same principle works

Like this;

swivel knife beveler, 01s.jpg

swivel knife beveler, 02s.jpg

swivel knife beveler, 03s.jpg

I don't have any machine tools so they are made in two parts; the head and the shaft. The shaft, which is a good fit for my swivel knife, fits into the head and is pinned to hold it, you can just see the pin in the third photo. The head is HDPE and carved and filed to shape. They were dead easy  & quick to make

The cost of material to make about 10 of these cost me about £5 afair. 

In use I just run the beveller back and forth along an already bevelled line and it smooths it. I reckon a beader would work similarly; make two parallel grooves and run the beader over the top with a leg in each groover