Kfd518

Singer 29-4 revolving bush up and down play.

The rotating head bush in my machine head (part number 8577 and revolving bush retainer 8573) have .011” up and down movement in them equating to .030” free play in the presser foot. The screws attaching the two together are tight which of these two parts is more likely to have worn causing this? 

I have built the bell crank end back up to .197” with braze rod and re-profiled the tip of it. There is not 

Probably the revolving bush #8573 is what normally wears.  The needle bar hole normally wears left to right, not up and down.  Screws worn?    the revolving bush washer can be replaced.  They are available.

glenn

Doesn’t look like the screws have ever been out of the retainer going into the bush. I didn’t realize I had transposed my part numbers previously. 
I’m wondering if some shim stock in say .008 cut to a washer shape and set on top of the step on the revolving bush might fix the issue if the washer doesn’t.

The needle bar had about .010” of wear on where it slides in and out of the head I’m hoping brazing it back and bringing back to proper dimension will make it last until I can find a proper needle bar. All the replacements show to be too short by the dimensions I measure off mine 

@shoepatcher One thing that just occurred to me. I am missing the #8574 revolving bush friction spring. Is said spring intended to hold the bush up as well as provide slight resistance to rotation? 

Just replied your PM and just saw you post here. Yes, the curved spring is putting a little bit pressure on the bevel edge of the washer - so your problem then is the missing spring ;)

I got the springs guys.

glenn

Well I ended up making a spring out 1/16”of 308L TIG rod. I did not end up needing to shim the revolving bush after adding this. Brazing the needle bar driving plunger and needle bar back to proper width. In a 14 oz horse hide carry belt blank it was making 6 stitches to the inch. Not a single skipped stitch with 138 thread. 
This  will not be the normal thickness I stitch with it or through but both myself and my dad were due for new belts.  The one shown is for my dad. 
4D30FF1E-4160-4060-AB00-3CE359234D04.thumb.jpeg.0ee60c4f174d999aeaaf107c6c26d8a9.jpeg