Sign in to follow this  
Regis

determine the value of a splitter

I don't know much about splitters and I'm trying to determine the value of a splitter for small low production shop. My interests are wallets, folders, holsters, & brief cases. Are splitters (4, 6 or even 8 inch) mostly for belt/strap makers? I could see where 6 or 8 inch may be good for wallets . It would be great to buy side(s) (e.g. all8/9 oz) to make different items but it seems the practical width limits are 4, 6, or 8 inches (not enough for folders or cases).

Would someone jump in and give me some practical examples of using these size splitters in a non belt/strap shop?

Thanks,

Regis

My experience is limited and I'm not a very big guy, 5'10", 170#, on a good day I can pull a four inch strap through my splitter. If you're going to split wide stuff I think you may want to consider something motorized, with gears or maybe get you a mule and a couple of monkeys to help you out. For whatever the reason, I find horsehide easier to split than cow. Hope this helps.

"or maybe get you a mule and a couple of monkeys to help you out."

:lol::lol::thumbsup: I'll take that up with homeowners association next week :specool:

I think you got me on track of reality....thanks :wub:

I think a splitter is indispensable. Go 8" if you can, 6" if you can't. Siegel's has the osborne 86 for 225 or so.

Regis if ya decide to get a splitter ya might look in the market part of the forum. I just got a 8" model 84 from Greg Gomersall and I think he has a couple of model 86's and another splitter cant remember what it was thuogh. He's a heck of a nice guy and would answer any of your ?'s hope this helps some Mike