Sign in to follow this  
greg gomersall

two headstalls

Here are two headstalls i just finished. They are sterling and gold mounted with the silver coming from Schaezlein silversmiths. The rounds are all hand sewn, and styled in classic california tradition. Not a lot of fun to make, but they sure do look pretty on a horse. Greg

Picture_0110.jpg

post-1797-1192842339_thumb.jpg

Very nice Greg. I bet they do look pretty on a horse.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Ken

WOW Gregg. Those sure do look nice! Masterpieces!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

But my hands were made strong by the hands of The Almighty to forward in this generation triumphantly!
Bob Marley - Redemption Songs

Greg,

They look really good, and set off the silver well. Do you have a source or alternative for a ferrule crimper? Brownie and I were kicking around ferrules the other night. Neither one of us has seen one for a while. I let one get away from me a couple years ago, and haven't seen one around since.

Bruce I don't know where you could find a crimper for sure. Either Bob Douglas or Keith Pommer may have one. I bought mine a few years back from an Amish family that was living up near Spokane Wash. but they moved back east. They sure don't come up for sale very often and it's tough to do a nice job with out one. I rebuilt an old Bohlin headstall for a client a couple years ago and all the ferrales were drilled and pinned on it. Greg

Bruce you had me thinking half the night. A person might be able to make a crimper using two rounders as the basis for the unit. Those cheap rounders Weavers sell might work for this as they arn't much good for anything else. If you are interested I will take some photos of my crimper for you. Greg

Bruce you had me thinking half the night. A person might be able to make a crimper using two rounders as the basis for the unit. Those cheap rounders Weavers sell might work for this as they arn't much good for anything else. If you are interested I will take some photos of my crimper for you. Greg

Greg,

I was thinking kind of along the same lines. I guess there is some kind of pliers looking thing with round jaws that some tool makers use too. I have heard that some of the Weaver or Beilers rein rounders are off enough that it takes a pretty good machinist to get it right. Might mark up the ferrules too. I haven't talked Hansens lately about one either. My wife usually picks stuff up, and I rarely see them except at shows or around town. When I missed the one, Tim told me to keep looking and when I find one, let him know. They wanted a machinist to duplicate it. If you could send me some pics, that would be great. I'll give Bob a call, too. Is Keith Pommer the guy who lives by Sioux Falls?

Bruce Keith is at Worthing S.D. PM me your email and I will send photos of my crimper. If you know a good machinist we might even be able to let you borrow mine to copy as long as he would do it in a week or so as I do use it quite a bit. Greg