Colt Hammerless

Round/Head Knives Gomphs, Henckels, Osbornes, Harrington

Have some round/head knives for sale.  They're sharp and ready to use.  Shipping is $12.  I'm only shipping to the U.S. at this time.

#1 Here's a very rare Henckels round knife.  It measures 4 7/8th inches wide.  The ferrule has some movement fore and aft, but the blade is tight.  $150

P1140740-M.jpg

P1140742-M.jpg

P1140262-M.jpg

#2 Is another Henckels (I've actually managed to acquire 3 Henckels over the years).  This one measures 5 1/4th inches wide.  The ferrule has some movement.  There's also some very very slight movement in the handle.  I've never felt it while cutting with it.  The letter "W" is stamped on one side of the ferrule.  $150

P1140747-M.jpg

P1140751-M.jpg

P1140263-M.jpg

#3  Here's a really nice Gomph.  It measures just a touch under 5 inches wide.  The ferrule has just a tiny bit of movement.  Blade is tight in the handle.  $135

P1190743-M.jpg

P1190744-M.jpg

P1190747-M.jpg

#4  Here's a really rare Gomph pattern knife.  In about 9 years of looking, I've only run across about three for sale.  Measures about 3 1/2 inches wide.  Ferrule has just a slight hint of movement.  Blade is tight.   $235

P1190566-M.jpg

P1190567-M.jpg

#5 Here's a Newark marked C.S. Osborne Pattern knife with the star marking.  About 4 1/2 inches wide.  Blade and ferrule are tight.  $100.

P1190637-M.jpg

P1190641-M.jpg

#6 Here's a Newark marked C.S. Osborne round knife with the star marking.  Measures just shy of 3 1/4 inches wide.  Blade and ferrule are tight.  $67.

P1190623-M.jpg

P1190627-M.jpg

#7  Here's a Newark marked C.S. Osborne single point head knife.  About 1 7/8th wide.  Blade and ferrule are tight.  $57.

P1190781-M.jpg

P1190786-M.jpg

P1190776-M.jpg

#8   Here's a Newark marked C.S. Osborne round knife.  Measures about 4 3/8th wide.  Blade and ferrule are tight.  $70.

P1190739-M.jpg

P1190735-M.jpg

P1190721-M.jpg

#9  Here's a rare Theo Harrington head knife.  Blade is marked "Theodore Harrington, Cutler To The People, Southbridge Massachusetts." I read somewhere once that that was a dig at the Sheffield firm of Joseph Rodgers and Sons, who was an official cutler to the royal family, and marked their blades "Cutler's to their Majesties."  Blade is just over 4 3/4 inches wide.  $105.  

P1190797-M.jpg

P1190804-M.jpg

P1190807-M.jpg

#10  Here's a Shapleigh Diamond Edge round knife.  The markings are nearly invisible.  At first I simply assumed it was a Shapleigh based on the shape of the blade and handle (the shape of their handles are a pretty dead giveaway),  but I eventually caught a glimpse of the diamond shape symbol of their marking.  You have to get it in just the right light, and frankly you probably won't see it.  I tried to get a pic of it, but failed.  Measures just under 6 inches wide.  $75

P1190755-M.jpg

P1190752-M.jpg

#11 This is an unmarked head knife.  Measures just over 4 3/4th inches wide.  Blade and ferrule are tight.  $65

P1190705-M.jpg

P1190708-M.jpg

Paul

Are any of these still for sale?

Paul,

This maybe a real dumb question of these three 3, 6, 9 which would you say is the sharpest and which will hold an edge better?  I’m new to head knives but I like the old stuff better than what I’ve seen coming out of factories lately. 

Charlie

I went out to the shop to compare those three.  

They're all really close in sharpness.  All of the knives are actually, as I spent a good bit of time getting them pretty equally sharp before putting them up here.  I would say as far as gliding through the leather easily, it's a close toss up between the Gomph and the Harrington.  The little Osborne is close, but its blade is a touch thicker than the other two (the Harrington being the thinnest.)  

As far as edge holding, I've used the Harrington the most and have always been really happy with it.  That little Osborne though, has always seemed a bit magical in holding an edge for a long time, being up there with some of the hardest W.Rose knives I've had.  I haven't had that Gomph for as long, but Gomphs have a reputation for holding an edge a long time.  

Honestly, of the three, I would actually go with which one has a shape that will fit the type of cutting you do.  I make holsters and mag pouches, and most of my patterns have a few tight corners.  As such, of those three, the Harrington would be the one I would use most for that job.  The Gomph and the Osborne are going to be about equal in their ability to cut corners (decently tight, but not quite as tight as the Harrington.)  If cutting a lot of straps, that Gomph would be just the ticket, with the Harrington coming in second, and the Osborne third.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for all the good information I’d like to buy #6 the C.S. Osborne and #9 the Harrington.  Please let me know how you’d like to work out the payment.   BTW looking at your screen name made me wonder do you shoot SASS?

Charlie

No, I don't shoot SASS.  I chose my screen name because the first leather project I ever did was to make an IWB holster for my Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 auto.

I'll send you a private message here shortly.

Paul

Hi Paul. Is number 3 Gomph still available. Will get it if it is.

Randy

Shipping just to Guam, USPS Flat rate box. Thanks.

Randy

Hi Paul. Is number 3 Gomph still available. Will get it if it is.

Randy

Number 7 still available