Sign in to follow this  
immiketoo

Just Read Bobby Park's Book

I just finished Bobby's (hidepounder) book and I found that it is easy to read and understand what is written, however it will take years before I have the kind of understanding of design and leather work that he does.

Bobby, your book is an inspiration and I cant wait to utilize your method to create my mom's purse! After looking at the photo section, I realized I barely have a childs grasp of floral pattern tooling. Leather is both rewarding and frustrating at the same time.

Where can I get actual instruction in carving and design? Are there schools? Clinics? You mentioned leather shows in your book and I see one in Oregon, but I can't go this year. Are there others? I NEED to learn!

Anyway, I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to design their own patterns for tooling projects.

I am insatiable when it comes to leatherwork!

Mike

Al stohlmans books will give you a very good start in carving floral designs (and other). The basic books will give you some step-by-step instructions. You can buy them new at most suppliers, give the sponsors at the top of this page a go or, Ebay is another source.

Just remembered another really good source, YouTube. There's a bunch of step-by-step videos in this matter too...:-)

Good Luck //Tina

Edited by Tina

Thanks Tina, I've already done all of the reading and on-line stuff. Bobby's book is about floral design, and I think having an in-person conversation with one of the masters would be of great help! It's hard to condense a lifetime of experience into 50 or so pages, but The book did a great job of explaining his process.

I went and spent a day with Chan Geer a couple of months ago. It was nice and inspirational. Wish I would have had more time. I would like to mentor with other workers too when I can.

That's really great. Did it help you learn or change your approach on design?

As Tina suggested. I would check out the Al Stohlman books. One that is still pulled from my library is the 'Leather Manual.' It covers everything from what is leather to finishing. In between is carving and stamping basics. He also wrote a larger book on how to carve leather. If you are into specific styles of tooling or stamping....let us know and may be I can direct you to a specific book.

Thanks King, I have a few of Stohlman's books, and they are great. I don't have Leather Manual, but I might check it out. I'm not struggling with carving at all, just design. I think that seeing someone carve live and to be able to have a dialog would be priceless.

I'm specifically interested floral carving and some figure carving, but I don't think my skills are quite ready for that yet. Making a horse that looks like a 5 year old did it is not on my list of things to do! I'm always interested in books that will help me learn.

I have not read his book, but is would seem that all these people (Those with talent and not me) have an inherrant understanding of the "Golden Ratio \ Fibonacci Sequence". If you are unfamilure with this, google "Golden Ratio and Art" or "Golden Ratio and Architecture" or "Golden Ration and Nature". I actually learned this back in HIghschool, but it ndid not click until I started doing leather and looking into engraving\scroll work. It was a bit mindblowing and quite facinating...but then again, I am a geek.

Edited by kwelna

If you are "visual learner" and would prefer video instruction, you can do no better than Jeremiah Watt's DVD series on tooling. They're pricey but still less than airfare and lodging for personal instruction. They cover every aspect of tooling from leather preparation through final finishing. The technical work on the video is first rate and allows you to see close-ups of the tools as they make their impressions. The DVD's are on Watt's website, ranch2arena.com.

Oh, and I have no connection to Jeremiah Watt or his business. I am also a huge fan of Bob Park's layout design book. He does a fantastic job of simplifying the hardes part of this art (for me anyway) disigning your own patterns.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Where can you buy a copy of Bobby's book?

Chief

Hey Chief!

Send him a PM. He's on this site as hidepounder. I can't tell you how much his book has cleared up questions and removed my hesitation about drawing my own patterns.

Mike

Chief, find any post by hidepounder on this site and there's a link at the bottom of the post. Let me see if I can find a link. Here it is...

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/hidepounder/Active%20Links%20file/Flyer2.jpg

Mike, I might have to check out those videos. I still want to head out west next year and hang out with some of the masters, but those will help over the winter.

Thanks,

Using the link I found it, I had been on his site and his photobucket but saw no reference to it.

Chief