JRB

Thonging Chisles vs. Stitching Awls

Can someone explain using thonging chisles vs. sewing hafts & blades?

Edited by JRB

Can someone explain using thonging chisles vs. sewing hafts & blades?

A thonging chisel punches little slits in the leather to accept leather lacing (or thonging). An awl (haft + blade) makes little diamond shaped holes in the leather to accept stitching with thread.

True Hilly but remember that some awl blades are made to punch for lace also. The chissle is just a hammer chisel method of doing it and the awl is a hand push method or whatever you wanna say. Thing with the chisel for lacing is that you can do sometimes 4 to 6 holes I think.

True Hilly but remember that some awl blades are made to punch for lace also. The chissle is just a hammer chisel method of doing it and the awl is a hand push method or whatever you wanna say. Thing with the chisel for lacing is that you can do sometimes 4 to 6 holes I think.

Ahhhh, yes, MADMAX22! My memory is failing me. Either my older than dirtness is affecting my mind, or I've been sniffing too much rubber cement and given myself drain bamage. :)

:NEWFUNNYPOST: Luff Rife ain't it! The thing I don't like about the prong chisel I have, is the holes are too big and it seems to smoosh the leather all out 'o' wack rather than cut clean holes. I don't use it much.

Edited by Jordan

And to confuse things even more, there are also chisels made to punch diamond shaped slits just for hand sewing.

....and when you use an awl, you don't have to beat the leather off of the chisel because it stuck when you drove a 4 prong chisel through it.

I use the diamond chisel all the time for hand sewing. It's the only way I can keep even spacing.

I tried the Tandy thonging chisel my first day...made holes the size of Lake Erie. Now I use the thinnest awl blade I can get from BD. Keeps your stitches looking neat and professional.