MetalTips

D Ring Mount

Hello all, new here and just getting started with leatherwork.

I'm looking to start with making a cuff and want to ask about the different ways that D rings are mounted onto cuffs and also what bits of hardware are called.

I've searched around the net and looked at pics but what I don't find easily is whether one way is better than another way, the pros and cons if any, so hoping members here can offer any advice and opinions from their own experiences.

What I have seen so far are 1) an eyeplate / staple riveted onto a cuff. 2) a D ring mounted under a small piece of leather strap and riveted onto cuff, and 3) a D ring mounted under a nickel plate and riveted.

Are there any pros and cons to the different ways, or are they simply cosmetic?

I know that in option 1, they are called eyeplates or staples and seem to be categorized as a 'marine' accessory, but what are the plates called in option 3 that allows holds the D ring in place but allows it to sit flat?

I've seen them on collars and cuffs, but only just starting to find the proper names to bits of hardware and accessories so wanting to get up to speed so I can at least use the correct terminology when searching for things!

Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty new at this myself and are looking for similar stuff. Right now I use leather to hold the d-ring and that works fine, but I'm looking for other options.

What is most suitable comes down to application I guess.

also I can recomend this site for more osbscure hardware; http://www.wwlhardware.com/

I would recommend punching a slot and pulling the leather up through it. Then you can rivet on both sides to hold the d-ring in place. The other option would be to sandwich the d ring between two layers, as in the dog collar.

post-58856-0-06557200-1427924757_thumb.j

post-58856-0-63438900-1427924724_thumb.j

post-58856-0-52226000-1427924673_thumb.j

post-58856-0-83687600-1427924699_thumb.j

Thanks nastyleather and Tom for your replies.

Tom, I do like the look and neatness of how you have done it in photo 2 though I'd imagine there would be a little bit of bulk on the back.

I have got some photos of the type of D ring and plate I'm looking for. Is there a correct name for them?

I have searched for D ring plate or bracket and some results are for marine use, called 'tie downs' and either galvanised and big. These are nickel and thin for riveting onto leather.

I'm quite surprised that there aren't many identical items for purchase, wouldn't have thought they were that rare or bespoke.

post-60981-0-62412800-1428241629_thumb.j

post-60981-0-45230900-1428241636_thumb.j

post-60981-0-49640200-1428241645_thumb.j

Usually when I am doing this, I skive the leather (taper the ends to a thinner profile) in order to reduce the bulk. The finished product with a lining isn't that much thicker.

I have never used or seen such a plate. You could always check with a local machinist. I'm sure they could have a set pressed out and drilled for you.

Thanks again Tom. Looks like I might have to resort to using leather squares but still searching and asking in the suppliers thread of the forum.

Spoke to several machinists and they tell me they don't have the tools to press out the middle ridge for the d ring.

Will keep looking as I'm not in any rush...

Huh, I never thought of riveting a d-ring to leather, and I see them every day at work at the frame shop. http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Heavy-Triangle-Picture-Hanger/dp/B000OMMI9U is another type of plate with a d-ring that has possibilities, and they come in all different sizes too.