Sign in to follow this  
kitch2500

Painting And Dyeing Issues

Ok need some help folks. I'm making a guitar strap and the finish is red and black. It has tooled borders and stamped letters. The letters and border are gonna be red and the rest black. I have not had much experience with dyes so I need some advice before I take off and ruin it. I'm using feibings oil black dye and feibings red acrylic dye. Should I paint the red onto the letters and border first, then resist it with clear lac, then use a wool dauber to apply the black dye? This seems to be the way to go in my head but I've never used clear lac before so I wanted to ask someone with experience first. Is these the proper steps or am I completely off? Also will the clear lac resist the oil dye enough to not bleed into the letters? Any advice at all will be helpful. Thanks.

Clearlac will serve as a resist for antique paste, but I would be hesitant to use it as a resist for dye. I have a feeling you are in for problems, If anything. experiment some on something besides your strap. If it were me. I would use some small brushes and dye the colors separately.

I just posted some tips here on the same type subject, I hope you'll find it useful; http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=44580