rdb

Double Butts

I was at Zack Whites Saturday for a Sheridan Class given by Hides to Art. It was very good. They said they would write out a Topic about here on the Forum, so I'll leave it to them. All I know, is that I learned a lot, even though I got mad at myself for not doing better, but I was just learning, I suppose. I picked up some Barry King Sheridan bevelers, and Lifter. Man, are they slick...

Today, I wanted to just mention something new that Tim has brought in. He's got these double butts he's having made up in a Mexican Tannery (one of the very newest and best). They are over 60" wide and long (avg 30 sq.ft). Just perfect for the strap maker. Clean, and nicely slicked backs. They are 8-9s. One problem is that one side is cut down to maybe 7oz for a few inches (maybe 6"). Tim said he's having the tannery make sure that doesn't happen on the next batch he has made. It doesn't bother me cause I'll use those few straps on my double layer gun belts.

I cut a couple 1.5" straps from the bottom crossways for extra large belts, then cut up 12 1.5s, and 12 1.25s the regular way. I still have about twenty seven inches left, so probably get another 15 or so. I forget the price (somewhere in the 5$ plus range psf). That makes the individual blanks around $4 or so apiece. Now that's cost saving for me.

Not trying to make this an AD, just thought it might be a good recommend for the forum. Make sure you tell him you learned about them from on this Forum. He's starting to see the good possibilities here, that should mean better for us in the long run.

Sounds good, how is the tooling/dying characterisitics of the butt's

Today, I wanted to just mention something new that Tim has brought in. He's got these double butts he's having made up in a Mexican Tannery (one of the very newest and best). They are over 60" wide and long (avg 30 sq.ft). Just perfect for the strap maker. Clean, and nicely slicked backs. They are 8-9s. One problem is that one side is cut down to maybe 7oz for a few inches (maybe 6"). Tim said he's having the tannery make sure that doesn't happen on the next batch he has made. It doesn't bother me cause I'll use those few straps on my double layer gun belts.

rdb,

Is that $5.00ft. for horse butts? That is hard to come by in that length.

Thanks, Rick J.

Madmax, with good casing they stamp and carve just fine. They are NOT veggie carving leathers, but I do my belts with this stuff, and have good results, both stamping, and carving. The advantage is that when you use sides, the straps are too long for one belt...unless you cut the side down there's lots wasted. These are perfect size for most belt lengths. I rarely waste more than ten inches on. And that 10" usually becomes something else, bracelet, test swatch, etc.

ricky, these are not Horse butt, although Zack's does carry that. I use the horse for my holsters...good stuff. You can only get two holsters (or one holster, and a couple mag cases) from them.

These doublebutts are just the butt section of a cowhide doubled...30 sq ft was astounding to me. No need to worry about having enough...lol