anester05

Cheap or as Cheap as I can get

Tandy has there sole bends on sale for about $90 a bend for the economy grade. I really do not want to spend that much since I will probably only make a couple of sandals to see if I like making them. Is there a cheaper place to buy some sole bends?

Thanks

Adam

Brettuns Village has some for $65 a piece (http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/sides.htm), and I've read somewhere that Milton Sokol (888-765-6526) might have some as well--I don't know for how much, but they gave me a great deal on horsehide leather, so I would imagine they would have good deals on sole bends. Good luck!

~Noah

Tandy has there sole bends on sale for about $90 a bend for the economy grade. I really do not want to spend that much since I will probably only make a couple of sandals to see if I like making them. Is there a cheaper place to buy some sole bends?

Thanks

Adam

Have you tried using some skirting scrap. It's not going to be as stiff as a sole bend, but it's comparable in thickness. Cheers!

Tandy usually has a scrap bin and the thick stuff is usually a good price, that is what I have used and it works out well.

P1010016.JPG

post-4868-1250300586_thumb.jpg

Ill try using the skirting scraps to practice on, I guess it might not wear as well but Ill get some practice in before I drop a chunk of change on the sole bend.

Tandy used to have sole bend that they sold by the pound... I have no idea if they still do or not or if the manager is willing to do so...

I would try Springfield Leather (check out the banner ad at the top of the page), if Kevin can't help you out with enough for one or two pairs of sandals I would be very surprised.

waterhouse has double shoulders on sale for 2.95 sqft and offers us a 5% discount. One of the 7/8 oz could be doubled up and you could still get a couple pairs out of one. Its pretty decent leather as well. That would give you about 14oz for the soles whcih should be plenty.

Thanks

Adam

Adam,

I do boot repair & resoling as part of my business. I have "Full Sole" pairs for cowboy boots in stock. I would be glad to sell you some material to get a couple of pair made. The full soles are $12.00 a pair (+shipping). They are 12 inches long and wider than a cowboy boot. There are not many boots out that these will not fit so I would think you would be o.k. for sandals.

They are "Super Prime" material which is the best you can get. Using regular skirting is great for practice but the first time you step on a rock you will feel it, skirting is just not as "dense" as sole leather.

I have Crepe sole material that we make "flip flops" out of, I have not posted any here because they don't have any leather on them!! :excuseme: A pair of soles of that material is $9.00 (+ shpg.) I have 5/8in. thick and 1/2in. thick in black, 1/2in. tan & brown

We use 1in. nylon webbing for the straps, 1/2in. for the toe piece.

I need to do some leather straps so I can post them, my list of things to do is growing longer!!

Send P.M. If you would like anything.

Rick J.

sandals3.jpg

post-6575-1250358270_thumb.jpg