paris3200

Edgers

Well my birthday is coming up and the wife is wanting to know what I want. For some reason she just laughs when I say a 67 mustang. Instead I was thinking about getting a new edger or two.

Sometime in the past, maybe before the crash, there was a thread on edgers. I've done a search and can't seem to find it. I know a lot of people recommend Ron's Edgers. I also recall someone discussing another tool maker but I can't recall the name. I can remember that the tools had a little bit of decoration on the steel. I also believe that the maker did leatherwork in addition to making tools. Can anyone point me in the direction of this maker?

Thanks,

Jason

That was it thanks.

Anyone have any advice about choosing between the two or another maker to consider?

Jason

I prefer edgers made by Barry King or Bob Douglas. Keith

Jason,

It was probably me. I like Jeremiah Watt's round bottom and vizzard pattern edgers. I had a set previously from Ron, and they are living out their days now in Ireland. The round bottom edgers take a little learning and careful use, and I still sometimes will take a scoop out of a lining leather. These particular pattern of edgers are simple for me to keep sharp and cut a nice curved profile. Probably the biggest reason I like them is the simple maintenance. My wife prefers Bob Douglas' bisonette edgers. I have them in a #1 and #4 size. They come ready to use, and can't go too deep or gouge. I am tending to reach for them more also. I expect I'll be filling in the set in May.

I have a set of Rons edgers that I like very well. I think for the money they are a good value. I have also got a couple Watts that are also good tools. There are several good tool makers out there and you will not go wrong with any of them. Barry King and Bob Douglas are included in this list.

Ben,

Ben already knows this. There is a really cool thing about going to shows like Sheridan, Wichita Falls, or Wickenburg. I can take a piece of my leather, carry it around in my pocket, and I can go to Bob Douglas' room, Barry King's booth, and Horsehoe Brand (Jeremiah Watt) and compare edgers from all three. There may even be a brand X new guy. Then I can buy what feels right for me. The reason I have the two bisonette's from Bob? Rundi tried them at Wickenburg last year. On the way home she regretted not just buying them there. She mainly edges the long straps like reins and leathers, or the tedious small stuff. That is why I only have a size 1 and 4 right now. Whether we fill in with more "Bobs" or just whose, ask me (or her) May 18th.

I am adding this just to clear up a wording thing and omission that could be misconstrued. I was not intending to belittle or laugh at Ben's suggestion, and apologize to any who might have thought that. Ben and I agree on a lot of the tools we use. I have edgers from Jeremiah and am very happy with them, as I am with hand tools from Bob Douglas and Barry King. I am happy with ones from Ron also. The biggest issue with shopping around now is that I have to fill the inbetween sizes. Unless I buy from Bob (and I may well do that), I have to compare sizes. The size numbers that a maker puts on his tools may or may not be close to the next maker's tools with his numbering system. I have found that Jeremiah's sizes run bigger in the same number compared to some others. As far as I know, Ron doesn't make bisonettes, so that leaves Jeremiah, Bob, and Barry to compare. Since I am going to the show, it is going to be a lot easier to compare them side by side than through UPS.

Bob's bisonette edgers are nice. He copied the shape of the old Rosecrans bisonette's which also have the heavy shank going into the handle. I have a set of the Rosecrans from 00 thru size 6 and use them everyday. Greg

Greg, I had never heard of rosecrans, was that and indivdual or a company, when where they in bussiness, what type of tools did they mfg.?

Thank You Steve

Please forgive the ignorance, but whats the difference between a Bisonette, round, or western edger? I thought the entire purpose of an edger was to take the hard edge off a piece of leather and leave a rounded edge. So why so many different types?

Jason

Steve some of these edgers are marked C. Rosecrans Pat. June 2. 03 and others are just marked Pat. Appl'd. For. So they were from the late 1800's till the early 1900's anyways. Maybe someone else can fill us in more. The only tools of thiers I have seen so far are Bisonette edgers. Greg

Steve some of these edgers are marked C. Rosecrans Pat. June 2. 03 and others are just marked Pat. Appl'd. For

Here's the patent for the Rosecrans Beveling tool. Up to this point I have only seen these edging tools.

Rosecrans Edging Tool Patent

Regards,

Ben

I received Bob's latest brochure today. There was some talk of purchasing some of Bob's edgers. Bad news........ The Concord, Bisonette and Turn Back Edgers are all sold out.

Regards,

Ben

Well my birthday is coming up and the wife is wanting to know what I want. For some reason she just laughs when I say a 67 mustang. <snip>

Thanks,

Jason

Jason, a man after my own heart 'cept that'd be a '65 Mustang fastback. Just like the one collecting dust in my garage.... :)

Jason, a man after my own heart 'cept that'd be a '65 Mustang fastback. Just like the one collecting dust in my garage.... :)

Well if its taking up to much room I'm sure I could find some room for it.

Jason