CodeJockey

New Here

Hello all! I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm completely new to leather working, and i'm interested in learning. I just hope it's not too late as I'm 36 (hard to teach an old dog new tricks) but I'm going to try.

Hello all! I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm completely new to leather working, and i'm interested in learning. I just hope it's not too late as I'm 36 (hard to teach an old dog new tricks) but I'm going to try.

Crap, I hope it's not too late -- I'm 40 and I just started in August!

Man, I'm older than dirt at 48, and I started a year ago. I wonder if you can take leatherworking classes as occupational therapy in a nursing home......

I found it interesting to note that I have re-visited and re-learned pretty nearly everything I ever knew about leatherwork since joining this forum and thoroughly enjoyed the process. Mind you, I'm pretty sure some rude folk would have it that I knew diddly-squat when I got here...

The forum is almost a work in progress as you re-acquaint yourself with stuff you might not have touched for a while. Topics change fairly regularly and by helping others and discussing their problems you can add greatly to your knowledge and skill base.

In answer to the question, CJ, you can study anything you want as it doesn't matter how old you are - the important thing is wanting to learn.

Enjoy the forum and welcome.

Ray

Thanks for the warm welcome all. I'm really looking forward to getting started with this. I plan to center my work around things such as holsters, gun slings, motorcycle gear, etc. I will ultimately hope to branch out in the future, but those are the areas I'm mostly interested in. I can't wait to get started.

Also, I have a question. Are there any power tools that y'all recommend? I was thinking of getting a burnishing wheel (power), sewing machine, and perhaps a drill press. Any other thoughts w/ questions are greatly appreciated.

Also, I have a question. Are there any power tools that y'all recommend?

A belt sander for shaping edges.

RAY.........where did you learn DIDDLEY-SQUAT..ARE YOU FROM SOUTH ENGLAND.? :cheers:

RAY.........where did you learn DIDDLEY-SQUAT..ARE YOU FROM SOUTH ENGLAND.? :cheers:

I certainly am, cousin! :cheers:

WTF is Diddley-squat ? Sounds like something you can´t eat? :Lighten:

old timer.... i have heard it all my life, i can use it in a sentence being diagaroity

to someone, but i really don't know what it means

old timer.... i have heard it all my life, i can use it in a sentence being diagaroity

to someone, but i really don't know what it means

The Online Dictionary says:

Diddly-squat

Noun

1. a small worthless amount;

"you don't know jack"

(synonym) jack, diddlysquat, diddly-s**t, diddlys**t, diddly, diddley, squat, s**t

(hypernym) small indefinite quantity, small indefinite amount

Pay your money and take your pick!

Those dang diddlys are always squatting and the tiddlys are always winking......heheheh... Old is a state of mind, started learning about 2-3 yrs ago and at 54 still learning...... mostly to mind my peas and cues :innocent::rofl:

ISIN'T THIS A GREAT PLACE......... :notworthy:

ISIN'T THIS A GREAT PLACE......... :notworthy:

Didn´t expect to learn two more english words that have no real substance on this forum- but I´ll never forget them, and I´ll use them on a daily basis from now on, I promise ! :blahblahblah:

Thank you! / Knut :spoton:

when my son was 3 years old, he pronounced that word "ditta-wee squatch" ...i nearly fell out of my chair...

Didn´t expect to learn two more english words that have no real substance on this forum- but I´ll never forget them, and I´ll use them on a daily basis from now on, I promise ! :blahblahblah:

Thank you! / Knut :spoton:

Fair dinkum?

Tony.

Fair dinkum?

Tony.

Fair dinkum will be fine! I´ll have two, please! :cheers:

:welcome: to the forum. Watch, read, learn. No one is too old!