johnggrg

How To Make A Good Beeswax Sealer?

I am making a outback style hat and watched a video about how to do it. In the video he said he made a beeswax sealer for his. He said he used a couple noncented beeswax candles and mixed it with some mineral spirits to make a paste. The finish was a dull finish which I want. My question is. what size candle or how much beeswax in oz's to how much mineral spirts to make a good sealer??? Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thank you. John

For that type of "sealing" I would melt about 1/3 pound of wax, brush on with a natural bristle brush or rag, then use a hair dryer to make it penetrate the leather.

An old fashioned "recipe" for an old fashioned finish:

4 oz (by weight) natural beeswax + 4 oz (by weight) of neatsfoot oil.

Melt the beeswax in the oil, . . . I use a glass jar in a crock pot, . . . usually takes about a half hour.

Pour into muffin pan with muffin liners. Allow it to harden

It makes a product that is a little stiffer than Kiwi shoe polish, . . . and can go from a very dull to very shiny appearance, . . . depending on how many coats you apply.

Rub it onto the surface, . . . lightly go over it with a heat gun, . . . melts it into the fibers.

Polish with a soft cloth when is is dried and cool.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight. Exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you!! I had heard mineral spirts was used. Is there differant ways to make the finish? I didn't want a shiny finish at all for mine. John

A wonderful lady from the Pacific Northwest (if I remember correctly) gave me this formula several years ago, . . . I love it.

I've never heard of mineral spirits being used with this, . . .

You have to work to get a "shine" with this, . . . it can be done, . . .

Try it, . . . you might like it. BTW, . . . I put it on with my fingers usually, . . . just smear it real good, . . . hit it with the heat gun, . . . back off, . . . let it chill, . . . buff a bit, . . . looks good.

Make sure to send us pictures, . . . I'm always up for a good hat.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight