nycnycdesign

Owner Of Techsew Gc2603 Was Using Linseed Oil On Machine

Thank you in advance for your advice everybody.

Long story short I finally found a cylinder bed machine on craigslist that was adequate for what I needed. It was a Techsew GC2603 and had only been used under 10 hours. Really good shape and the price was right. Sat down to give it a test on some 6 oz veg tan and the machine locked up. I figured it was the hook assembly and told the guy that he would have to get it serviced before I would consider buying it.

Tech comes out today to look at the machine. Turns out the owner had been using Linseed oil to oil up the machine.

"Someone told me that was fine."

According to the tech that's what caused the components to jam up.

So my question for you is whether or not this is something I should consider buying even if it sews right. How bad could Linseed be?

Was it raw or boiled linseed oil?

Boiled linseed oil is used in paints and varnishes. They have drying compounds to make it dry quicker and harder. Raw linseed oil is just the oil pressed from flax seed and takes weeks to dry.

You could very well clean it up with some mineral spirits or something, but I wouldn't get close to it unless it was really cheap.

Edited by Colt W Knight

Boiled Linseed. Apparently the tech said it's sewing again but I'm weary of dropping 1k on a machine that has that stuff gunked up all in it.

Thanks for you advice Colt.

I think Colt's question is very important. If it is the stuff you use in woodworking, then the machine could be toast. Maybe, because of the low hours, it can be saved. Linseed oil is way too thick for the application, it just won't get where it needs to go. Mineral oil is proper sewing machine oil, if you need to be creative or technical, add a little hydraulic fluid to it for additives. Or lets face it guys, just use the Dritz stainless oil you get at JoAnn's, it is the right viscosity, comes in a good useable applicator, it's cheap (50 or 60 percent off), and works.

I would try and contact the mechanic who worked on it and ask his opinion. As long as the shafts and hook are good, I think it will be ok, but then again, you will need to get it at a good price, and it will always worry the hell out of you.

Art

Thanks for the response, Art.

I have a call out to the mechanic to see what he thinks. Unfortunately the guy won't drop the price (1k w/ table) which makes me think he's going to sell it off to someone else and bury its linseed filled history.

Do ya'll think a heavy dose of lily white could help clean it out?

Here would be my concern.

Yes, I am certain you can break all the moving parts free and get it to run. If all the BLO isn't removed, overtime it will collect dirt and grime, and turn into a tar like substance. The constant reoiling sewing machines require will keep that BLO gunky forever if it isn't all removed. If you use it and let it set, I bet it would keep freezing up after it sits.

I guess we really need to know what froze-up before, and what caused it. Is it reasonable to expect more of the same later (probably in a different spot)? I don't think many of the reciprocating parts like over the needle will be much of a problem as those tolerances (face it, it ain't a Pfaff) are pretty loose, and can easily be checked by sight. The problem is the shafts. If they locked-up before, then it might happen again if something is blocking oil flow or they have gotten hot and lacquered, or even galled. Like I said, I would rely on the mechanic who has been in there. This is not the greatest deal, and there are many more like them. Do not be afraid to walk away. Check with one of our dealers like Bob or Gregg who will have something or send you in the right direction.

Art

Thank you in advance for your advice everybody.

Long story short I finally found a cylinder bed machine on craigslist that was adequate for what I needed. It was a Techsew GC2603 and had only been used under 10 hours. Really good shape and the price was right. Sat down to give it a test on some 6 oz veg tan and the machine locked up. I figured it was the hook assembly and told the guy that he would have to get it serviced before I would consider buying it.

Tech comes out today to look at the machine. Turns out the owner had been using Linseed oil to oil up the machine.

"Someone told me that was fine."

According to the tech that's what caused the components to jam up.

So my question for you is whether or not this is something I should consider buying even if it sews right. How bad could Linseed be?

This is a new one re-linseed oil however I had a customer ask me if olive oil was ok once.

Long story short if the machine locks up on you immediately when you're testing it's a big red flag. You may want to take a pass on this one and look for a machine with a known history. We discontinued the 2603 but have a similar demo model available if you're interested.

Ron

Bicycle wheel builders use it for spoke prep. It helps when building wheels and acts as a kind of very mild Loc-Tite when it dries.

I wouldn't go near anything it was used on as an oil.