KnotHead

My Hides!

I finally got me hides today. All the way from Australia. I'm as giddy as I can be. Damn I shouldn't be feelin that way. But ya know... My first hides ordered since I started braiding.

Take a gander.

100_0851-Resize.JPG

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful and smells AWSOME! All 4 of them are just AWSOME. Consistent all the way. Gonna make some great lace.

HAPPY AS LARRY!

Brian...

i think they were hopping around my backyard last month...lol...they look beautiful...who did you get them from??

Richard Taubman is who I got them from. He came recommended by a friend of mine over yonder.

Taubman & Webb is the name of the company. Tell him Brian sent you if you talk to him. His site,

Taubman & Webb

His email is at the bottom of the page.

Thanks. I have been waiting and waiting and shopping for the best that I could find. Now, HOLY crap! I'm as giddy as a school boy with a new girl friend.

Brian...

I feel your giddiness, Brian.

Put the rope in the closet, you've been properly bitten by the "roo bug." lol.

G'luck and have fun.

Thanks Spence. There aint nottin like the bite either. LOL...

Brian...

I just ordered 3, haven't received them yet though. Every time I get roo hides it's like Christmas.

Congrats

I want to order 4 more hides.

1. Black
  2. Red
  3. Natural
  4. White

I am excited though. I need to settle down before I start cutting. This way I can concentrate on it. LOL...

Brian...

I love natural and red....And black...Oh...and forest green! OK, well I love them all. I do have an aqua I'm not particularly crazy about. It's pretty until it's washed and rolled and finished, then it's a little drab for my taste. I have forest green, jade green and a drum stuffed whiskey coming. Oh and purple...purple and red look so pretty together! Hee hee hee...probably not your thing.

The SMELL is wonderful. I braid and smell all the time! I'm glad to hear I'm not to crazy.

How do you cut your hides? The indent on the top two would throw me a bit because I try and cut a circle or oval first.

I will cut a big oval and then cut strings from that oval. I cut over sized strings first, then cut, split and bevel for final strings. The smell is what I think got me all giddy. Made my whole shop smell good. LOL... Still need to settle down though. I have a few projects in mind. But picking which one will come first is my problem. LOL...

Brian...

Here's the first one cut & trimmed. Ready for lace cutting now. I'm gonna be a cuttin fool tomorrow. ehehehehe...

100_0856.JPG

Keep up the pics Knotty, I don't mind this thread turning into a step by step on roo prep to finished product type dealyo

It might just work out that way. Unless of course I screw it up somewhere. LOL... That's always possible. LOL...

Brian...

:blink: I can't sleep now. Those damn hides are keepin me awake. Geesh !!!

Gday mate ,

i understand where you are coming from i use to travel 300km just so i could have somegood roo in my hand that night ,, now i have a supply that i can wait awhile if i need to,,, but dont get me wrong ,,,it was not allways like that

They look like the best roo i have ever had so i am sure you will be a happy man ,,, are they drum stuffed , whiskey ????

I am looking forward to seeing some of your projects from these hides

Cheers from down under

Bevan

www.bwrwhips.com

G'day mate.

Yep they are drum stuffed and they are Whiskey. I did do a small prep cut for lace tonight. Only about 9 or 10 yards at 1/2 inch wide. I think I will take that into about 1/4 inch to see how it does there also. But the cut was so nice. I have not beveled or split yet. But it will turn out nice for sure. They are just awsome hides for sure. I know where I'm gettin all my hides from, even if it does take a month to get here.

Brian...

We do up to the part of the cutter. I have a cutter, but I use my Aussie Strander to cut the straps like you have there. I will have to try out my cutter then.

Brian...

I can't use that Aussie Strander! Oh boy I messed up my first hide pretty good trying to work it. I think I "lost" my strander. As you can see I often cut my strips a little wider than the strander allows anyway. That hide was very large so I think the strips are pretty wide.

Brian--I went to the website and noticed the price was quoted in something like meters square and AUD. Since I'm from Texas, that's hard for me to compute.....could you give me an approximate cost in Texan-ese???lol.

Charlie

Brian--I went to the website and noticed the price was quoted in something like meters square and AUD. Since I'm from Texas, that's hard for me to compute.....could you give me an approximate cost in Texan-ese???lol.

Charlie

Hey Charlie.

I used my pay pal account to do the conversion below.

It comes out to $101.44USD for a whole hide. He pays all the fees for importing & shipping. He's fully licensed in Australia. I paid him with my pay pal account. You'll have to contact him by email in order to arrange the same kind of payment method of you wish to go that route.

Otherwise, it was a smooth transaction. I can't complain at all, which is what I was looking for in a supplier. The best hides & service. Richard Taubman is a down to earth kind of guy, so you can expect a really kewl dude on the other side.

Brian...

Taubman is definitely the route I will be taking for my hides when I am buying in hides.

But, Entiendo, where were you getting your coloured hides from? I didn't think Taubman does more than the standard five colours.

I love the idea of purple and black myself, but it would be red/black purple/black combos most likely, Yeah I know it's a guy thing...

And aqua blue sounds pretty cool too actually.

Well I decided to cut me about 5 yards to see how I do with the Aussie Strander. That went really well. It was like riding a bike. Once you learn the tool you don't forget how to use it. The pre-final lace cut went well. Attached below is the 5 yards I cut & beveled.

5 yards cut and beveled.

5yardsroolace.jpg

Close up of the 45 degree bevels.

5yardsroolacecutbeveled.jpg

It was beautiful to cut with such awsome hide. There's nothing like it in the world.

Brian...

happyasLarry.gif

knothead was size hide was that price for?

charlier...charles hardtke inc in el paso tx sells the drum stuffed hides from packer tannery as well. i have ordered alot of roo from them and never gotten a bad hide.

8thsinner...another combo thats very nice is the brandy and purple. and i once did a leash in sombodys clan colors....black, purple, blue and green....i thought it would be horrible but it really looked awesome. and it still looked good two weeks later when i repaired it cuz her dog liked it also.