rickeyfro

Flawless Leather?

Most of the seats I sell go on daily riders or bikes that are ridden hard on the weekends, most of these guys have no problem with leather that looks like leather, such as fat wrinkles, etc. And I usually get the Hermann Oak from Kevin or Zack Whites Premium Bull hides which are always great leathers. But a few times a year I get commissioned to do a seat fro a 40, 50 or 60 thousand dollar show bike thats gonna be nit picked and judged by some very critical eyes. For these situations Id like to always have a supply of as close to flawless pieces that I can get. I use 6-7 or 7-8 oz primarily and I dont have a problem with the price on something like this, so Id appreciate any suggestions from you guys, and Kevin feel free to chime in if youve got something for me. Thanks Rick

Was just gonna say talk to Kevin. Im sure he can find a deal for you. Ive gotten some nice HO from him. Pretty sure that even if it is a portion of the hide that is as near perfect as you can get that he could find it for ya.

Remember also sometimes its all about picking the best part out of the hide for a particular project.

Edited by MADMAX22

Hi Rick,

Talk to Shep at HO and see what he can do for you. Special stuff is not out of the ordinary especially if they might get a mention or some pics out of it.

Also, talk to Steven Siegel about some high latitude hides, and in Europe they don't have barbed wire or many bugs to mark a hide. Maybe something out of Sedgwick?

Also, talk to Horween out of Chicago.

And don't forget Matt at Wickett and Craig, I'll be going there next Monday, so I will check for you.

Art

Most of the seats I sell go on daily riders or bikes that are ridden hard on the weekends, most of these guys have no problem with leather that looks like leather, such as fat wrinkles, etc. And I usually get the Hermann Oak from Kevin or Zack Whites Premium Bull hides which are always great leathers. But a few times a year I get commissioned to do a seat fro a 40, 50 or 60 thousand dollar show bike thats gonna be nit picked and judged by some very critical eyes. For these situations Id like to always have a supply of as close to flawless pieces that I can get. I use 6-7 or 7-8 oz primarily and I dont have a problem with the price on something like this, so Id appreciate any suggestions from you guys, and Kevin feel free to chime in if youve got something for me. Thanks Rick

Hi Rick,

Talk to Shep at HO and see what he can do for you. Special stuff is not out of the ordinary especially if they might get a mention or some pics out of it.

Also, talk to Steven Siegel about some high latitude hides, and in Europe they don't have barbed wire or many bugs to mark a hide. Maybe something out of Sedgwick?

Also, talk to Horween out of Chicago.

And don't forget Matt at Wickett and Craig, I'll be going there next Monday, so I will check for you.

Art

Thanks Art, I'll check with these guys, also thanks for checking at W&C. About Hermann Oak, dont they have a 10 side min?

Call them and see what you can work out. Don't worry about quantity, worry about the leather you need.

Art

Thanks Art, I'll check with these guys, also thanks for checking at W&C. About Hermann Oak, dont they have a 10 side min?

Hi Rickey,

Really, I think that when you need a piece of leather for something that special, you just need to let the vendor know what you're doing. If you tell me that you need an absolutely perfect pc of leather for a seat, and you tell me that you need to have it 34 x 36, (or whatever), I would think a vendor would make sure that you got a side that would allow you to cut that. On the other hand, If you need a 24 x 36, and you don't want to buy a whole side, just tell us, (or whoever you buy it from) and I'll cut it for you. I really don't mind cutting a perfect piece of leather for someone, and I'd think that the rest of the vendors would be happy to do that too. Usually those pieces are associated with a project that the creator is getting some serious money for, and they'd be happy to pay a premium to get what they want and need. And (speaking for spfd only) we're pretty happy to cut leather for someone, because we can always sell, or use whatever is left.

You just need to make sure that you've got a good relationship with your vendors in a situation like that.

Take care!

Kevin

Hi Rickey,

Really, I think that when you need a piece of leather for something that special, you just need to let the vendor know what you're doing. If you tell me that you need an absolutely perfect pc of leather for a seat, and you tell me that you need to have it 34 x 36, (or whatever), I would think a vendor would make sure that you got a side that would allow you to cut that. On the other hand, If you need a 24 x 36, and you don't want to buy a whole side, just tell us, (or whoever you buy it from) and I'll cut it for you. I really don't mind cutting a perfect piece of leather for someone, and I'd think that the rest of the vendors would be happy to do that too. Usually those pieces are associated with a project that the creator is getting some serious money for, and they'd be happy to pay a premium to get what they want and need. And (speaking for spfd only) we're pretty happy to cut leather for someone, because we can always sell, or use whatever is left.

You just need to make sure that you've got a good relationship with your vendors in a situation like that.

Take care!

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, thats what I was hoping youd say