MasonA

Belt Keepers

I have a quick question for all you belt makers. How do you attach your keepers?? Molst of the belts i see look like the keeper is simply sandwiched between the rivets or chigago screws that secure the buckel fold over. This seems like the simplest method but does it hold the keeper tight enough to keep it from rotating and showing its joint?? Of course I'm planning on experimenting with it, but any neat tips and tricks that people are willing to divulge would be appreciated especially since there is a fast vs. quality method in just about everything that has to do with leather. So in the belt world what is considered fast and functional, and what is considered the high quality way to attach belt keepers?

Thanks,

Mason Anderson

www.facebook.com/shieldcustoms

I glue the keepers in place.

A lot of my belts have been made with changing the buckles in mind, so I use chicago screws and don't glue the actual belt.

However, I always block all my keepers so they are rectangular, and won't spin around unless they lose their shape, which (I hope) will last many years.

I also make my keepers by overlapping the back the full length, and skiving both layers at a long angle. This way I end up with a single layer lap joint. I find this gives me maximum gluing area, but I still usually smash a rivet into the middle just to be sure. If it was put on backwards, the rivet would be the only way to tell.

Mine go together with 3 staples, . . . I have a jig that marks the holes, . . . I punch them with an awl, . . . insert the staples, . . . bend em over with a pair of pliers, . . . then finish the belt almost every time with Resolene that seals the staples.

I sewed them for a while, . . . this works better IMHO.

I also block and form them so that the outside edges keep it from rolling unless the wearer gets dragged by a horse or something similar.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight