MHolzer

Rapier Frog

Based on the Tandy reenactment project sheet, I give you my Q&D rapier frog!

Pattern can be found at :

http://www.sclcg.org/flasah/flashafiles/eswordhanger1.html

http://www.sclcg.org/flasah/flashafiles/eswordhanger2.html

Modifications:

• Tandy no longer makes the buckles or chap snaps mentioned in the parts list. I substituted different buckles. The chap snaps are only 3/4" so I modified the cut pieces to accomodate the smaller size. It's only really noticable on the rear strap support.

Immediate problems:

• The chocolate brown I used on the flesh side bled through to the grain around the holes in the billets and main body.
  • The buckles are a bit too long.
  • I got lazy and didn't neatlac the pieces before I started putting them together.
  • I can't cut straight, so none of the edges are true, they're all a little wavy.

But, for a really quick and dirty test to see how well the pattern held up, I think it turned out pretty well. What do you guys think?

rapier_002__Medium_.jpg

rapier_007__Medium_.jpg

rapier_009__Custom_.jpg

post-6347-1207489874_thumb.jpg

post-6347-1207489884_thumb.jpg

post-6347-1207489894_thumb.jpg

Edited by MHolzer

I'm in the same boat as you in the cutting dept....but I think your frog came out really nice! I've seen this pattern, in fact a friend of mine made it too and I sold it for him at a Faire. Yours is great for just practice! I think the knot is just right on it - not crowding all over the piece. I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to design on pieces like that -- you don't want it to detract from a fine blade in my opinion.

I cheat when cutting anything with curves. I find a dinner plate, saucer, small bowl, or other similar item in the kitchen and then I use my knife blade against it as I would against a straight edge. It takes a lot of firm downward pressure on the plate or saucer to keep it from sliding, and you might want to actually mark it first with a pen so you can be sure the cut line is where you want it in case it does shift, but that's how I do it. Maybe it will help, although your edge doesn't look all that wavy to me : )

Nice work, by the way!

~Tammy

Ok, resurrecting this one to ask, does anyone have a rapier frog pattern? The links in this post are broken and I really like the look of it.

Don't suppose anyone still has these patterns? The links are broken and it's just what I've been looking for.

I used to make some (with not exactly the same form) a while back, I will dig in my pattern folder, I'll post it here if I find it !

Here's my pattern, I took the time to redraw it on Inkscape because the paper pattern was in a bad state. However I can't find photos of the frogs I made with it. I hope the diagram is clear.

frog.pdf

frog.pdf

That's odd, I didn't think I'd posted twice on this? Oops!

Thank you so much for the patterns, they're just what I need :)

That's pretty good work! I made something similar a few years back:

DougDoubletB_03.jpg