Cowgirlup8807

The Key To Cutting Straight Edges?

I am very new at cutting things out of leather and have tried with both a knife and shears to get a good straight edge when I cut out patterns and cannot cut a straight line no matter how hard I try. Normally it is the heavier leathers that i have the biggest issues with. I do not have a metal straight edge which is what I had supposed I could try next because cutting against a plastic or wood ruler doesn't help either. Any tips or tricks of the trade for cutting straight professional looking lines?

I use a pacific arc cork backed metal ruler. But as you get better you will beable to freehand a straight line I also use a olfa H-1 break away knife.

Chris

Edited by sinpac

Scribe a line using your straight edge, then follow the line with your knife. My way to do it.

I have several metal rulers from a 4 foot long drywall t-square down to a 1 foot "L". I use one of these with a sharp utility knife laid out flat on the floor so as few starts and stops as possible.

scribe your line with a scratch awl then cut slowly. Sounds like you're relying on your straight edge too much. Those things have a tendency to move around. Use it to scratch your line then trust yourself to follow it. Go slowly first to get a top cut, then go back over it again to cut all the way through. The knife will follow your first cut you made.

Sinpac and I agree on that ruler. Mine may be a different mfg. but both are cork backed, . . . and I have no trouble with them moving.

I also use a strop sharpened drywall knife that stays "touched up" for most of my cutting. If I can use my strap cutter, I will, . . . but that's only for belt blanks, etc.

The "sharpness" of your cutting instrument is the key to it for me, . . . dull knife and I start making boo-boos. STOP ! Strop ! Continue.

May God bless,

Dwight

I like to use a rotary knife with the metal corked back ruler. Like they said above don't try to cut all the way through on the first pass let the knife do the work. I have also found with shears that the heavier leather tries to pull when I use a straight edge so scribe it and follow your line. Good luck

David

A bigger saddler's knife (or a half-round knife) will do the trick for longer cuts.

Mine is only about 4 1/2" and I don't usually have problems cutting straight lines. Might get a +/-1mm error margin if I'm not very accurate though.

I really recommend investing into a good quality saddler's knife and a strop. It will do most of the work (straight & curved cutting and skiving) as long as it is sharp enough.

In fact, regardless of what knife you use, you always have to keep it stropped. A blunt knife is a dangerous knife!

PS you also might want to invest into a strap cutter. Cheap wooden ones work great and cut up to 4" straps.

definitely keep your blade razor sharp, otherwise it will pull and stretch your leather and the cut will be wonky!

I would certainly second the comment about a round knife - had mine a couple of weeks and am absolutely amazed by how clean and easily it cuts.

adam

Rotary 60mm cutter with a good plastic straight edge .3/16 thick x 4" wide x what ever length you need . This works for me