joeyrsmith

Hand-Sewn Edge Reinforcement?

Hey gang, been awhile since last post.

Quick ? on edge treatment.

I ran across a saddle maker from the UK at a art show I was doing and had a great conversation with him on leather work.

On my messenger bags and utility bags I wrap the thread around the edge for what I thought was extra enforcement.

He told me that "while it looks good and may serve a purpose, it is not correct"

Told me that if the bag is used alot "I hope it is, so I make them bullet proof" the thread will wear out there and cause problems.

I do see the reasoning there, I just really like to do the edge treatment that way, and use it as a selling point with my customers.

Here are a few pics. What do you guys say. All mighty leather pros?

thx

JOey

post-35016-0-09774100-1365724865_thumb.jpost-35016-0-65854600-1365724878_thumb.j

I have to agree with the English gentleman. That is the weakest point in the entire stitching.

ferg

Thx Ferg, I have seen so many uses of this that now I wonder how it started in the first place

Joey

probably for the looks, easy fix though, a knick to the side of edge of the leather then its hidden like in a stitch groove.....

Looks cool, first point of failure. I would punch another small hole between the sewing and the edge and go to that point.

I commented on this before on a critique posting and got shot down for suggesting it looked odd and put the thread at risk

It just leaves those threads out there hanging on the edge ready to be severed and open up the seam IMHO

If you really wanted to do it go to the end and back stitch as normal then go back to the end and then around your edge, that way if it does wear it won't really affect the rest of the stitching.

I don't personally see any advantage of doing it though and I don't think it does much to add to the looks either.

Is there any reason you don't do anything to finish your edges? I'd think that would go farther as a selling point than the thread.

I collect designer (LV, chanel, prada, coach, etc) dog collars / leashes and I noticed some of the ones in my collection also do that as well. While it's probably done for looks, I'd have to agree with the Englishman as well which is why I don't do it for the items I make.

Thx guys for the input.

billymac814. I am using oil tanned leather. So I can not really finish the edge like I would for my gun leather with top grain.

Last night (4/13) at my market where I sell my goods, I sold 3 messenger bags with that stitching and they all loved it..

billymac, I like your suggestion on the extra backstitch. I will start doing that.

needles. I like your idea on the nick to sink the thread into the leather.

Its strange, I know the from the comments and the saddle maker that what I am doing is not proper. But, the customer loves it. Go figure.

I think I will still do it, but with the extra backstitch and extra go around the edge will help in longevity for the piece.

Then again, I will also do some pieces without the outside wrap around stich and see what happens.

I will report all final outcomes to you guys.

Thx all

Joey

Edited by joeyrsmith