garytylermcleod

Fiebings Professional Dye Comes Off When Applying Wyosheen/neatlac. Use Regular Spirit Dyes Instead!

I am making some straps and they are each dyed different colors. I wanted to make sure the dye doesn't rub off so I ordered some Wyosheen. I love this stuff!!! The only thing is I wish someone on here had posted before that it does not work with Fiebings Professional Oil dyes. It works beautifully with the regular Fiebings Spirit Dyes, but unfortunately I have about $100 invested in Professional Oil dyes that just rub right off the second the Wyosheen touches it.

Edited by garytylermcleod

Clean and deglaze the leather with isopropl alcohol or ethyl acetate before dying. Apply the dye. Allow the leather to dry thoroughly. Buff the piece vigorously to remove any residual dyestuffs before the Wyosheen. Buffing off the dyestuff is extremely important or the residual will bleed all over the place if you don't.

Art

I am not referring to ruboff here. I am talking about the sealant (WyoSheen) actually chemically removing the dye while it is being applied wet. This is two very different things. As I said, I am talking about "when" applying it, not "after" applying it.

While on the subject, I have experimented with buffing but have not found it to make a difference. From my experience, the sealant either works or it doesn't. With WyoSheen, I have not gotten any ruboff except with black dye. I am now getting drum dyed black veg tan leather from Tandy's and when I use Wyosheen on that I don't have any problems.

Seems like something else may be going on. If I AM Correct, Wyosheen is the same thing as good old fashioned rubon Neat Lac, and I have used it over the Fieblings Oil dyes numerous times with no problems. The secret in using Neatlac is to apply light coats, letting it dry somewhat between coats. Never had the problem you are having.

Terry

Wow. This is very curious. This has happened to me with 5 different Fiebings Oil dyes and none of the spirit dyes. Has anyone else used Wyosheen with Fiebings professional oil dyes? I am not using any oil on the leather, just letting the dye dry for a day then applying the Wyosheen. I definitely believe you Terry, but I am wondering if anyone else has any input/experience with these two products. And Terry, are you referring to Wyosheen specifically or the original Neat Lac?

Seems like something else may be going on. If I AM Correct, Wyosheen is the same thing as good old fashioned rubon Neat Lac, and I have used it over the Fieblings Oil dyes numerous times with no problems. The secret in using Neatlac is to apply light coats, letting it dry somewhat between coats. Never had the problem you are having.

Terry

I was referring to the original Neatlac. I have been under the impression that Wyosheen and Clearlac are the same thing as the original Neatlac, same manufacturer, just different label. I am pretty sure about the Clearlac, not so sure about the Wyosheen. Maybe somebody else will chime in and give us the definitive answer. One thing I am doing different than you is applying Bees Natural Saddle oil prior to applying the Neatlac. This is an amazing oil and will not discolor the leather as Neetsfoot Oil or olive oil.

Terry

Edited by terrymac

Frustrating isn't it??

I heard all this great stuff about "fiebings oil dye" and finally broke down and some... in black. That stuff was just as bad as everything else. The dye would shift on the leather while buffing and I never did come up with a good hand applied clear over the top of it. I switched to an airbrush and that cured the problem for me. (I'm not rubbing anything in at that point)

Try giving the oil day an extra day to dry before applying the wyosheen. You also might want to call Sheridan Leather Outfitters and get some advice directly from them.

I have been using Fiebings Pro black for 20+ yrs. and my main problem has always been over doing it. I find that one well saturated coat will leave some gray areas that look like they need more dye,not so, let it dry then buff and voila, a nice even black finish with no bleed problems. But Sylvia is right, an airbrush or mini cup gun is the answer. Gump.

when i apply black dye i usually dip dye the piece. then i use a blue paper towel(blue paper towel seams to leave no lint and holds up better) and buff the excess black dye off while still damp from the dip dye.

i do this to buff out and spread the dye to an area that might of not taken dye right away. only do this for a few mins. then just let dry for a day or two, then just add some bee natural saddle oil. then apply finish and no rub off of black

I've been having the same problem with the Wyosheen taking off my black fiebings oil dye. I've tried letting it sit for multiple days, tried doin very light coats, tried buffing, I oil it, but it still pulls the dye out of my leather. Has anyone found a solution or talked to sheridan leather bout this yet?