Sign in to follow this  
yeringtonmike

Romove Water Marks From A Leather Saddle

Inherited a saddle that was damaged with water. Anyone out there have the remedy, to remove them or blend in a color? Sure would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Edited by yeringtonmike

Mike,

Water damage is a tough one, I've never been totally successful, maybe someone else will chime in. What I normally do (and it reduces the visual effect of the water damage as well as helps the leather) is clean the entire piece with saddle soap, actually scrubbing with a sponge, then condition the piece by applying a light coat of neetsfoot oil, letting dry (that replaces some of the natural oil lost over time), then condition with a good leather conditioner, like leather balm. It doesn't correct it but it does help the looks and the leather. Maybe someone else will have some better ideas.

Good Luck,

Chief

Can you post pictures of the damage? It might help reap some solutions better

Maybe wetting the whole saddle, saddle soap and a lot of water, then oxalic acid when it is dry, is a solution to get rid of the water stains? I would try that before I added oil and conditioners to the leather. Water does not damage the leather !

my 2 cents / Knut

Edited by oldtimer