This is a simple design with a coin pouch and ID holder.

post-48901-0-02320700-1432236304_thumb.j

post-48901-0-63133400-1432236354_thumb.j

post-48901-0-39163300-1432236367_thumb.j

cool inner design with the coin pocket but I can see the flap letting coins to come out since it doesn't completely cover the opening. Also, I would have gone with much thinner leather to cut down on the bulk, it's going to get thick fast if you put any coins in it. Did you use anything in the ID window?

Stitching looks much better on this one but still needs the edges being burnished. I would also round the edges on the corners to keep them from getting banged up as bad.

I noticed that about the coin pocket...I'm going to change the pattern...any suggestions would help.

I agree about the inside needing to be thinner but that what I had at the time...thinner would be easier to work with though. The window does have plastic in it even though you can't tell in the pics.

What would you recommend to use on there when I burnish? I just use water and they get smooth but not distinct.

typically I use water first then pure beeswax although some use gum trag

You can get away with light treatments on items that won't get tons of wear, but the edges of a wallet are going to take some serious abuse, so you need something a little more thorough. I picked up a 6" buffer motor at Harbor Freight and then cut a stack of 2" diameter wool disks out of a saddle pad and put them on the spindle. I then mixed up a batch of paraffin and beeswax (melted about 50/50 by weight together). Spin up the motor, rub some of that wax into the felt pads, and then use that as a burnisher.

You can get the same result with hand tools, it just takes a lot of elbow grease.

The tool I use is a dremel...I got some old drawer knobs and drilled a hole in the center to put on the dremel. Works good to smooth the edges to a glass like edge.

Eternoui actually I'm not sure the thickness...it is the standard waxed thread Tandy sells...my wife went and got it and that's what they sold her.

My suggestion would be go to leather conversion and ask because I have received good advice there...wish I could be more help but I use what I have and looks right.

hahha. I am asking beacuse I do not know which thickness is more suitable for wallets. 0,8mm or 1,00mm?

The thickness of the thread depends on a lot of factors. The overall thickness of the leather layers is one factor, but the main factor is how you want it to look.

A smaller stitch length generally requires a smaller thread. I use 1.0 mm for a 3.5 mm to 4 mm stitch (6-7 spi). For 2 mm to 3.5 mm (8-12 spi), I like to use a .8 mm thread or smaller. This is however, a personal style choice. Some like the look of a larger thread in a short stitch, and others don't mind a thin thread in a longer stitch. Play around with it until you get a combination you like. For wallets, you can use the full range of stitch lengths. Many modern styles use very fine stitching (10 spi or finer), where a more traditional western style can use larger stitches or lace.

Check out Nigel Armitage's YouTube videos on saddle stitching & stitching chisels / pricking irons. He goes through a lot of different thread sizes & stitch counts. You can see lots of options before you do your own experimentation.

Edited by byggyns