Hi everyone,

I need advice on a matter that may sound silly but here it goes;

I want to make a simple black belt but I am facing a problem in the dyeing process,the dyes wont apply.I used water aniline but moisture and water make the color fade a bit.The aniline does for leather-bound books and we use it all the time at the workshop but the books are never exposed to such amount of moisture as a belt might be during rainy seasons or in the moisture of summertime.I also tried to put a lot of stain and I achieved the color i wanted but it fades almost totaly even with the slightest drop of water.What seems strange to me is that many people in this forum have suggested that one should first dye and then burnish.But in order to burnish you need to wet the leather a bit.How come the color doesn't come off?

So,what kind of dye should I use that wont discolor because of moisture or water?And is there something extra beyond the dye that makes the color stay?

I know my question is simplistic,but any help would be appreciated!

Hi everyone,

I need advice on a matter that may sound silly but here it goes;

I want to make a simple black belt but I am facing a problem in the dyeing process,the dyes wont apply.I used water aniline but moisture and water make the color fade a bit.The aniline does for leather-bound books and we use it all the time at the workshop but the books are never exposed to such amount of moisture as a belt might be during rainy seasons or in the moisture of summertime.I also tried to put a lot of stain and I achieved the color i wanted but it fades almost totaly even with the slightest drop of water.What seems strange to me is that many people in this forum have suggested that one should first dye and then burnish.But in order to burnish you need to wet the leather a bit.How come the color doesn't come off?

So,what kind of dye should I use that wont discolor because of moisture or water?And is there something extra beyond the dye that makes the color stay?

I know my question is simplistic,but any help would be appreciated!

I used Fiebing's Oil Dye (Black) and do not know of any issues with it (yet). I burnished before appling the dye and used edge coat (black) after that. Also applied Rosolene after the dye was dry then polished with wool scrap. It worked for me, hope that helps.

Oil dye will run or fade as you say but more offten then not it rubs off when it gets wet , I also use oil dye and I love it but you can have rub off if you can't take the chance of it rubbing off use vinagroon.

Josh

I want to make a simple black belt but I am facing a problem in the dyeing process,the dyes wont apply.I used water aniline but moisture and water make the color fade a bit. ... I also tried to put a lot of stain and I achieved the color i wanted but it fades almost totaly even with the slightest drop of water. ...

This may be an obvious question, but since you don't mention it... are you sealing the dye with anything?

Kate

I don't use a sealer,thats why I asked if there is something extra beyond the dye that would help(I couldn't recall the word sealing)!What kind of sealing should I use Kate?It would be nice if you are aware of something rather common because most of the brands I see mentioned (fiebings for example)cannot be found here.Also, if there is a more natural way-material that is easy to aquire in order to seal the dye that would be great!In any case thanks a lot!

usnret82 and jbird thanks for the advice!

OK know were geting some were good work Kate, so there are tons of sealers out there it's just a matter of what is in you area you can get waxes and what not also if you have some sort of home improvment store buy a water base sealer that is used for wood those work well

Also craft stores have sealers.

Hope that helps

Josh

USE FIEBINGS OIL DYE. buff it after it is Dry. use your favorite sealer.

i have had no proplems....................

I have trouble with dyes rubbing off, rather than just running, but then again, I think that's just me--even my vinegarooned belt rubbed off black on my khakis! Anyway, I have been using Leather Balm with Atom Wax to finish things, and I really like the satin finish I get from it, but it's not a great waterproofer--it does keep the dye from rubbing off with sweat, though, from what I've seen. I know a lot of people here use NeatLac or SaddleLac, and I've heard of people using wood lacquer for items that do not need to flex. I'm certainly not an expert at anything leathercraft, but that's what I know :P

Luke I agree but dosent sound like those things can be found.

Josh

USE FIEBINGS OIL DYE. buff it after it is Dry. use your favorite sealer.

i have had no proplems....................

I don't use a sealer,thats why I asked if there is something extra beyond the dye that would help(I couldn't recall the word sealing)!What kind of sealing should I use Kate?It would be nice if you are aware of something rather common because most of the brands I see mentioned (fiebings for example)cannot be found here.Also, if there is a more natural way-material that is easy to aquire in order to seal the dye that would be great!In any case thanks a lot!

usnret82 and jbird thanks for the advice!

You NEED to seal it, no matter what type of dye you use, if it is going to rub against your clothing in a damp environment (can't comment on vinegaroon- haven't used it yet- and technically, it's not a dye anyway- it affects a chemical change by reacting with the tannins). The only fairly safe bet is drum-dyed leather, and i'd still go ahead and seal it too.

russ

Luke I agree but dosent sound like those things can be found.

Josh

"

JOSH... SUPER SHEEN SATIN" works great for me.........

Me too Luke I use a lot of tan kote as well and some neat lac

Josh

"

JOSH... SUPER SHEEN SATIN" works great for me.........

Thanks for the suggestions guys!I'll ask around and see if I can find some of the things you mentioned!Hope the 80year old local sellers of the trade understand what I'm looking for,it's always quite a challenge to make them give you exactly what you need and not something different!

Buy on line, all the leather suppliers have sealers.