DaltonMasterson

Cogra And Stitch Question

Hi. I am new to sewing machines, and just got a Cobra Class 4 delivered this week. With some practice the last couple of days, I can make a pretty decent stitch on top.

I am having problems with the back stitch though, but am figuring it out with practice. It seems to snag the thread once in awhile, and leaves a large knot on the bobbin side of the piece.

My real question... I build holsters, and with my handsewing, I can pull the stitching tight enough that I dont need to groove the stitching that would contact the gun. Using the machine, the stitching all lays on top of the leather, and will definately snag on a firearm eventually. This would be on the bottom/bobbin side of the piece while I am sewing.

Do I need to tighten the bobbin tension to get this to suck in more, or am I expecting too much from the machine? With handstitching, I can get away with wetting the inside of the holster some to help the thread pull in flush. Is this what I need to do in this case? I groove the outside stitch lines of course.

Some background that might help. I am using 14 oz of W&C with contact cement to glue. Thread is 277 bonded with an Organ 24/180 needle.

Thanks!

DM

You machine is identical to what we sell & it should make a nice tight looking stitch.The most common problem is people forget to wrap the thread around the side (or second) tension 1 & 1/2 times.You have to do this as this tension is a rolling tension & doing it that way makes the thread grip the roller better.

HTH

Bob

Edited by sewmun

Hi. I am new to sewing machines, and just got a Cobra Class 4 delivered this week. With some practice the last couple of days, I can make a pretty decent stitch on top.

I am having problems with the back stitch though, but am figuring it out with practice. It seems to snag the thread once in awhile, and leaves a large knot on the bobbin side of the piece.

This probably isn't useful, but I'm really glad I'm not the only person who's encountered this with this class of machine. My 441 clone does it too and it's driving me nuts because it's the last adjustment/tuneup I can't get my head around having taken the gamble of buying a factory-direct clone (it's a Cowboy, but without Bill's magic touch).

As far as I can tell the thread is catching on the shuttle somewhere, there's a distinct noise it makes when this happens. It's not a timing thing though, the timing is perfect on my machine in forward and reverse. I am starting to suspect it's a defect in the actual shuttle itself, but I'll be really interested in other responses to the problem.

My real question... I build holsters, and with my handsewing, I can pull the stitching tight enough that I dont need to groove the stitching that would contact the gun. Using the machine, the stitching all lays on top of the leather, and will definately snag on a firearm eventually. This would be on the bottom/bobbin side of the piece while I am sewing.

Do I need to tighten the bobbin tension to get this to suck in more, or am I expecting too much from the machine? With handstitching, I can get away with wetting the inside of the holster some to help the thread pull in flush. Is this what I need to do in this case? I groove the outside stitch lines of course.

Some background that might help. I am using 14 oz of W&C with contact cement to glue. Thread is 277 bonded with an Organ 24/180 needle.

Thanks!

DM

Try using 207 thread on the bottom. Works for me. Ken