GrampaJoel

Western Saddle Stirrup Leather Thickness?

I was wondering what stirrup leather thickness most builders here use. As in weight of leather, not width or length.

It is actually a part of another question I have, but I am looking for an answer to this question before I get into another topic.

Thanks

Joel

The most common weight is 13/15 oz. Typically the stirrup leather is made from the same weight leather as the saddle is built of. The lightest weight of leather I have used to build a western saddle is 10/12 oz.. The heaviest is 14/16 oz.

I usually use 14/16 for full sized working saddles. Lighter if making a light weight pleasure saddle. Lightest I have used for an adult saddle was 10/11 and that was 8 oz lined with 3/4 and stitched.

I agree with Troy and Keith. Generally the leathers are cut at the top of the hide (backbone) where the leather is the heaviest and more uniform. Also, if the leathers are cut side by side they will be uniform.

Joel, there isn't anything to add to what the others have already said. They have already said it all.

Bob

Thank you gentlemen for your replies.

I am wondering if a saddle could have a rock created in it because the stirrup leathers are to thick for the slots allowed in the bars of the tree.

So, now I guess I need to ask a tree maker if they take the size of leather being use into consideration when they cut the stirrup leather slots.

Thanks again

Joel

Thank you gentlemen for your replies.

I am wondering if a saddle could have a rock created in it because the stirrup leathers are to thick for the slots allowed in the bars of the tree.

So, now I guess I need to ask a tree maker if they take the size of leather being use into consideration when they cut the stirrup leather slots.

Thanks again

Joel

Joel,

It is certainly possible to create too much rock in the bars of a saddle tree, however, if a couple of ounces of leather create too much rock as to affect horse performance, then IMHO, your tree is too closely fitted to the horse and does not allow for fluid movement of muscles under the tree. That being stated, I have certainly seen results of trees with too much rock created from stirrup leathers, usually from Arizona bars styles that have only front stirrup leather cuts.

Keith

Keith,

Thank you for the reply.

I'm having a hard time getting to my question. I suppose I should just ask a tree maker what I really want to know.

Are the slots in the tree made to correspond to the weight of leather being used by the saddle maker, or are the slots just cut as desired by the tree maker?

Thanks again

Joel

Joel,

The slots are typically cut at the discretion of the tree maker. Usually they will not ask what weight leather you will be using.

Troy

Thank you Troy!

Your answer is what I was trying to get at , but it seems that I was having a hard time structuring the right questions.

Thanks

Joel