tazzmann

Leather Guilds

Does anyone know if there is a Leather Guild here in the Northwest (Portland, OR area)? I did a search on Google and didn't come up with anything.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if there is a Leather Guild here in the Northwest (Portland, OR area)? I did a search on Google and didn't come up with anything.

Thanks!

Probably the closest to you is PSLAC in Issaquah, Washington State. Google PSLAC. They have regular memberships & internet memberships, too. Very, very comprehensive how-to indexes (indices?) on line. $10 for internet membership, which gives you access to the members only how-to area. Worth every penny! Their president is also a member here.

Maybe we should start one. <_< Just because! :D

Probably the closest to you is PSLAC in Issaquah, Washington State. Google PSLAC. They have regular memberships & internet memberships, too. Very, very comprehensive how-to indexes (indices?) on line. $10 for internet membership, which gives you access to the members only how-to area. Worth every penny! Their president is also a member here.

Had a look-see. Great resource. I'd like to subscribe for an internet subscription. Would that give me access to editions of the rawhide gazette going back to 1994, or must I buy these on CD-ROM?

ed

Tazz,

Check out pages 65-76 of the latest Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal for Guilds or just go to www.pslac.org. Bob Stelmack is a good contact for them at <stelmack@nwlink.com>. They meet in Issaquah, WA (usually) on the 2nd Sunday.

Hope that helps!

To start one in your area contact Ernie Wayman, Exec. Dir. IFoLG at <erniehot@aol.com>

Indy :cheers:

Edited by indypbear

Just had a closer look. It looks like there is free public access to all the back issues of the rawhide gazette.

ed

PSLAC is a marvelous group with a mission statement very similar to ours. They publish a newsletter, The Rawhide Gazette (see the banner at the bottom of every LW page for the link) and the archives from '94 are available to the public here. There are selected articles that are for members only, and once your Internet dues are paid, you have access to them on their site. Another PSLAC benefit is the vendor discounts they have negotiated with some of the best leatherworking suppliers. PSLAC is not an IFoLG guild, but it is a friendly and enthusiastic organization, dedicated to teaching and sharing. I'm glad to be a member.

Johanna

Just signed up for the Internet membership. How long does it take for the membership to go through? It didn't really say on their web site.

Indy, I don't have memberships to any mags. I am thinking I want to get some, but don't know where to look to get started. I am mainly into Wallets, belts, holsters, archery gear and motorcycle accessories, so don't want any mags dealing with saddles and such as I don't do that kind of work. I haven't done leather work more than every now and then for the last 20 years, but have picked it back up and would like to get back into the main flow of things. So if there are any good mags out there, I would like to know about them. :D

Here is a link to a list of guilds. If anyone has any corrections or additions, please let me know.

Johanna

those back issues of the gazette are a great resource.

ed

Had a look-see. Great resource. I'd like to subscribe for an internet subscription. Would that give me access to editions of the rawhide gazette going back to 1994, or must I buy these on CD-ROM?

ed

Yes, Ed. You have access to all editions. The only difference is that if you buy the cd, everything is on cd. Otherwise you'll need to download every single item to your hard drive or keep referring to the website to access the info. (I, in retrospect, should have bought the cd- that way I'd always have it handy.)

russ

Yes, Ed. You have access to all editions. The only difference is that if you buy the cd, everything is on cd. Otherwise you'll need to download every single item to your hard drive or keep referring to the website to access the info. (I, in retrospect, should have bought the cd- that way I'd always have it handy.)

russ

I just now finished downloading all the back issues into one 2000 page pdf of 138 mb. I used Adobe Acrobat Pro, which is a PDF creation program.

ed

www.ifolg.org

They have a guild listing that should be reasonably current.

Brent

PSLAC is a marvelous group with a mission statement very similar to ours. They publish a newsletter, The Rawhide Gazette (see the banner at the bottom of every LW page for the link) and the archives from '94 are available to the public here. There are selected articles that are for members only, and once your Internet dues are paid, you have access to them on their site. Another PSLAC benefit is the vendor discounts they have negotiated with some of the best leatherworking suppliers. PSLAC is not an IFoLG guild, but it is a friendly and enthusiastic organization, dedicated to teaching and sharing. I'm glad to be a member.

Johanna

Hi Johanna. I joined PSLAC a couple weeks ago, and I just love all the new info I have access to. I'm not entirely sure about all the discounts from suppliers - I was going to place an order from one of the Tandy Stores mentioned on their discount pages, and was told that "They don't do that anymore, haven't done it in a long time, and to get a discount from Tandy you have to have a membership in Tandy's wholesale club". I haven't tried ordering yet, from any of the other suppliers mentioned on their site, though.

Hilly

Hi Johanna. I joined PSLAC a couple weeks ago, and I just love all the new info I have access to. I'm not entirely sure about all the discounts from suppliers - I was going to place an order from one of the Tandy Stores mentioned on their discount pages, and was told that "They don't do that anymore, haven't done it in a long time, and to get a discount from Tandy you have to have a membership in Tandy's wholesale club". I haven't tried ordering yet, from any of the other suppliers mentioned on their site, though.

Hilly

Hilly,

I KNOW Tandy still does the wholesale club pricing for IFOLG guild's members. I honestly don't know about PSLAC or if they qualify, BUT I would strongly suggest contacting Tandy's home office for the official answer. They set me up for online ordering at club pricing within a day or so. Assuming you could qualify for the club pricing, they would also be able to contact your "local" tandy store for you and verify your membership. Worth a shot anyway!

Brent

Just signed up for the Internet membership. How long does it take for the membership to go through? It didn't really say on their web site.

Tazzman, give it a week or so and then if you have not received a notice, drop Barbara Lourdes an email. Her email address is on the home page toward the bottom just above the maps. Or, if you are dieing to get into the member section (like I was), drop her an email now.

there are people working on forming a guild in the portland area. Tandy leather factory on whitaker way is looking at letting them meet at the store. if the person is working on this reads this, please get ahold of me about it. I will be the go between on it. other than that, its still in the planning stages

If you get any more info on this, Duke, please let me know. :)

I have been in contact with bob from PSLAC, and will be working on assembling a guild in portland. if anyone would like to add thier name to a list of possible members, please message me. the meeting place looks like it will be the Tandy Leather Factory at 13221 ne whitaker way, in portland OR. bob, if you are reading this, please email me, or message me so that I can talk to you about being affiliated, by-laws, ect. any help would be great. any one else want to chime in on this, please let me know.

Here is a link to a list of guilds. If anyone has any corrections or additions, please let me know.

Johanna

Hi Johanna,

I did not see The Leathercraft Guild on the list,

Here is the information for it:

TheLeathercraftGuildLogo.jpg

THE LEATHERCRAFT GUILD

c/o ROBERT AMBRIZ

PO BOX 4603

Ontario, CA 91761-4603

Robert Ambriz, President

Wayne Christensen, Vice President

leatherguild@verizon.net

The Leathercraft Guild meets the third Sunday of each month from 1PM - 4PM

We currently have 2 meeting places…

The Garvey Center 9108 Garvey Avenue, Rosemead, CA. 91770

Standing Bear's Trading Post 7624 Tampa Avenue, Reseda, CA. 91335.

inquiry@sbearstradingpost.com

All interested parties are most welcome to attend, share, learn and enjoy our

wonderful art form. We will also exchange newsletters with other Guilds.

post-6202-1205889950_thumb.jpg

Edited by SadEyes

Added and fixed- thank you SadEyes for the heads up. Wasn't your guild the one that recently had the drawing for the original Stohlman/Stanley works? Who won the drawings?

Johanna

well I have been doing a little work on the leather guild issue here in the pacific northwest, and have come up with a sign up list that has been posted on the window next to the front door in the Tandy Leather factory here in portland. if anyone is interested in joining a leather guild for the pacific northwest/ portland oregon area, please send me your information and I will add it to the list. once we get a decent list generated, we will concentrate on meeting times. the meetings will be held at the leather factory, and we will use those meetings for elections, generating ideas for classes, or anything else that is decided. bob stelmac of the PSLAC has already told us that once we are formed, he will post us in the rawhide gazzette. it will be really cool to get to know some of you and be active in a group that I have a positive interest in. you can shoot me an email to place your name on the list, or send the store an email. portland@leatherfactory.com ATTN:guild