HC009

How Do I Smooth Down 2Mm Thick Leather Edges Without Burnishing?

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea how to smooth down the 'fluff' leather edges after it has been cut on 2mm thick leather. The problem is I cannot burnish it as because of the thickness it is too floppy and time consuming to do. Is there an easier way to get a smooth edge when afterwards, I wish to apply acrylic leather dye to it so don't want any finishers. Any ideas?

The only thought I might offer is, Gum Taragacanth

It tames the fluff and will slick up nicely. --- Wild Bill46

In my experience, there's only so much you can do with "floppy" tempered leather. If you're working with really fibrous belly, you might want to modify your expectations.

Here's some nearly exactly 2mm Chromexcel, which I consider to be very "floppy" and so difficult to burnish that I no longer even bother.

I beveled the top and then sanded the edge with 320 and 400. Then I knocked the fuzzies off the bottom with a very very sharp 00 round bottom edger.

It seems to me that only the sharpest tools do any good with very soft tempered leathers.

post-45824-0-43996800-1432220446_thumb.p

I was having the same problem with some 'fluffy' edged leather last night. I've probibly gone about it all wrong, but I finally smoothed it out by using some Edge Cote, I gave it a bit of a buff, then tried some Tragacanth on top. After another buff/burnish, it looked fairly good, well at least as goood as I knew I could get it.

Thank you guys for your responses. The leather picture looks like you've done a great job Nuttish I think I will try your method as won't gum taragacanth the easier solution, prevent the acrylic dye from sticking to the leather after the gum has been applied, as won't that make the leather less porous to absorb the dye?

Be sure to use very sharp cutting blades so they do not drag, as that will cause more fuzzies.

Excess fuzzies can be sizzled off with a lighter held at a distance.

Gum tragacanth might keep acrylic edge treatments from absorbing as well, but that may not matter as they are typically a surface treatment. Your options include clear/neutral shoe polish, one of the waxes, or even a lightweight glue. Then coat with acrylic or whatever you hope to put on in.

You can always just color the edge with acrylic as well, then cover with acrylic topcoat. The acrylic will help hold the fuzzies to the edge, mostly.

The difficulty of getting that type of finish on edges leads some people to folding the edge over, , or using welts, or other construction techniques that don't involve an exposed edge.

I use a light sand paper when working with thin leather to give it a burnished look, then a bit of edge dressing. if you can't get all the "fuzzies" off do what I do...set the stuff on fire with a lighter..works just make sure you don't burn the leather lol or more importantly your fingers cuse that really hurts!!

I use 2mm veg shoulders for the majority of my work, they are not that hard? If the edge is really flexible I generally wet it a little and lay it on the bench while I buff it with a piece of denim or canvas. I also usually dye first as the dye stiffens it up a little.