Sjohnsone

Leather Book Cover

Does anyone know how to make a leather book slipcover?

I'm trying to make a neat cover for an HP Lovecraft book using black pigskin and veg tan leather.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello Sjohnsone,

I think I can describe how to do this, at least how I do it. Measure your book and find it's height, width and thickness. Each cover will be the height and width plus some margin for sewing, lacing, etc, plus the thickness of the leather. Around the top, bottom and side you will want to allow 1/2 inch to (preferably) 3/4 inch on each side for sewing or lacing. Along the spine allow 1/8 inch for the thickness of the leather. This is how you make each side of the cover.

To make the spine use the same height as the front and back cover. The spine part width will be the thickness of the book plus 1/8 inch on each side to allow for the thickness of the leather. Add that all together and you have the size of the veg tan cover. The liner pieces will be the same size but if I understand what you are doing, you will make pockets in the front and back to hold your book.

Hope this makes sense. I don't have a picture handy of this but could make one if it will help.

Bob

Will measuring the extra 1/8 an inch for leather thickness give you the room to close the book? I have a 8x10 inch book with a 1 inch thickness. If I measured the 1" plus the 10" for the length I am hoping closing it wouldn't be an issue as I know with wallets the folded sizing is diff.

Lacing or stitching? The book is 8" wide and 10" tall? Yer gonna want ...

1" thick plus

1/4" clearance (1/8" front and back) plus

8" book width (front) plus

8" book width (back) plus

1/4" for stitching (3/8" for lacing) each side, or total of

17 3/4" wide

and 10" high, plus the 1/4" top and bottom (stitched)

leaves you with a piece 17 3/4" x 10 1/2", assuming you cut it in one piece. If you're gonna lace the edges, cut it 18" and won't hurt a thing.

I am making covers for Christmas. I used poster board (from Walmart) and made a pattern. I used bulldog clips and tried it on the book. The first on was too short after the math. So I added 1/4" and the first on came out great. I laced mine and did a final seal with Snow Seal. Great stuff.