NC Holster Maker

Press Molding A Holster. What Rubber Hardness?

Those of you that use a hydrolic press to mold their leather. What hardness rubber are you using? I thought I read somewhere that it should be around 60 -70 on the hardness scale.

I dont use a press but I believe it is 40 durometer gum rubber that folks are using.

Those of you that use a hydrolic press to mold their leather. What hardness rubber are you using? I thought I read somewhere that it should be around 60 -70 on the hardness scale.

I use 40 durometer.

I think this is the same stuff here that I have product number 8633K63 from mcmaster carr. It was a while ago when I ordered mine.

http://www.mcmaster....-rubber/=camlxj

Edited by woolfe

Yep, . . . 40 is the correct number.

Mine came from McMaster Carr, . . . natural gum rubber, . . . works like a champ.

May God bless,

Dwight

What thickness are you using, the 1"?

What tonnage press is needed?

What tonnage press is needed?

I don't think very much, a 6 ton press is probably more than enough and can be had pretty cheap, I went with a 12 ton since it's a floor model instead of the 6 tons which are benchtop. Harbor freight has their 12 and 20s on sale now and you can find a 20% off coupon. I'm sure you can find better presses but for molding holsters thiers are fine.

I had about 110.00 for the press, 125.00 for the two sheets of gum rubber from McMaster Carr (1" 40 hardness) and I got two steel plates about 5/16" thick for free from a friend. So less than 250.00 depending on what the steel plates run, thick plywood could probably be used as well but I'd think steel would be best and last longer.

Mine uses a 8 ton jack from Harbor Freight.

Total investment: +/- $125

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-093179200 1305674698_thumb.jpg

Hi Dwight!

Love your press.

Read this, went to the garage, and yep, a hydraulic jack. Looked further and found a two inch tubing, welded square... bout the right size, maybe a little big, but a couple 2x4's and it'l be right as rain. Thanks for the picture.

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Mine uses a 8 ton jack from Harbor Freight.

Total investment: +/- $125

May God bless,

Dwight

Looks good Dwight. I'm curious what the holster looks like when removed from the press? Do the blue guns hold up OK?

Also, looks like you're into reloading as well. Good stuff. My workbenches alternate between being loaded up with leather stuff and reloading stuff it seems. Too many hobbies.

I ordered a 2 x 1 foot sheet of the rubber foam from www.knifekits.com which is used in pressing Kydex for holster making. Place it between two 1 x 12 x 12 pieces of oak I had laying around and clamp the corners with some vise grips. Works pretty well and I can put it all up in a drawer when not using it.

I went with a 12 ton since it's a floor model instead of the 6 tons which are benchtop.

I wish I would have gone with 12 ton simply it's a floor model. I have the 6 ton and it works fine but it takes up a chunk of my work bench. By the time I buy a stand for it I could have bought the 12 ton floor model when it's on sale.

Bronson

Edited by Bronson

I wish I would have gone with 12 ton simply it's a floor model. I have the 6 ton and it works fine but it takes up a chunk of my work bench. By the time I buy a stand for it I could have bought the 12 ton floor model when it's on sale.

Bronson

I almost got the 6 ton, but the more I kept thinking about it I figured I'd have to have some type of stand which adds more money and I thing the 6 ton only has a few inches to work with if I remember correctly. The 20 ton one looked like it was built much better than the 12 was but for pressing holsters the 12 is perfect, especially for 110 bucks. The 6 ton would be perfect though if someone already had a stand, and at 65.00 bucks it's hard to beat.

If you bought the extended warranty they'd let you upgrade I think. I bought a power washer a while ago and got the warranty because I figured it would break and when it did I took it back and they left me have a store credit for anything if I didn't want the washer, I ended up getting a belt sander instead. I normally don't go for the extended warranty though unless I know I'm going to need it.

I almost got the 6 ton, but the more I kept thinking about it I figured I'd have to have some type of stand which adds more money and I thing the 6 ton only has a few inches to work with if I remember correctly. The 20 ton one looked like it was built much better than the 12 was but for pressing holsters the 12 is perfect, especially for 110 bucks. The 6 ton would be perfect though if someone already had a stand, and at 65.00 bucks it's hard to beat.

If you bought the extended warranty they'd let you upgrade I think. I bought a power washer a while ago and got the warranty because I figured it would break and when it did I took it back and they left me have a store credit for anything if I didn't want the washer, I ended up getting a belt sander instead. I normally don't go for the extended warranty though unless I know I'm going to need it.

For the hydraulic shop presses, I'd suggest getting the extended warranty. My 20 ton shop press jack died yesterday & I had to get another one- I got the extended warranty on that one & now I have 2 years instead of 90 days with the jacks. (The jacks are probably chinese or taiwanese made, so there is a good chance they will fail- at the MOST inopportune time, as in my case .) And for $10 + tax, it's worth the protection. At some point, I'm going to try to repair the bad one, but it may not be worth it...