humperdingle

Thickest Feasible Veg Tan For Wallet?

My current wallet (mass produced,lined) is in tatters, so I want to make a new one.

It will be made with unlined veg tan.

But the thinnest I have is around 2 - 2.5mm... Is it reasonable to use such a thick leather, or will it be too 'cumbersome'? It will need a section for notes and around 8 cards.

You can try it - each his own and all that. Thickest I use is 4 oz (or about 1.5mm) and a little less than that is better. Some have posted on the forums about using 4/5 oz and heavier, but I'm not one of them.

Tried it... It's chunky alright! Despite only having two layers, it's still feels very... 'Meaty' .

6 slots for cards and a single, full length part for notes.

But no, i'm not posting pics because It's as rough as a badger's bum and I used some scrappy-looking veg tan...i'll keep it in the pocket to see if it softens up, but the indications are that 2.5mm is just too thick.

I got a 2mm piece and shaved it at the back. Used some very thin leather for the inside lining. turned out good, but a headache skimming it.

Yikes .. I didn't know you were using the same leather for the inside! I meant about 1.5mm for the OUTside, maybe HALF of that inside.

I made some simple catdholder wallets from soling leather...but a very simple design was essential. More than 2 layers got bulky fast. It started as 8/10 oz or so but I had to thin it a tad. I still use mine. Its thick and firm but I dont mind. The thickest part has three layers.

I usually use 4-5 oz for the outside, depending if tooling will be done and either 2-3 oz or pigskin for the lining... Again depending if too long is to be done or not..

I made my bifold out of leather somewhere in the 1.8-2mm region. It has one bill slot and one card slot on each side. So a total of 3 layers or 6 when folded. It is chunky - feels like you could take an eye out with a corner. But it's not ridiculous. I get about 4 cards in each card pocket. Only trouble I have is it can be hard to get the corners of bills down into the bill slot.

I think the thickness of the leather depends on the style of wallet you are making and if you are going to tool it. I can't seem to get good deep tooling out of 4 oz. For my biker style wallets, I use 8oz for the outside and make my interiors from 2oz. It is thick and hard when new. After you carry it for a week or two, it softens up nicely and really has a rugged look to it. My personal wallet, I made square corners. The points will eat your pants up. Now, I will either cut a bevel on the corners or round them. I also make a thin wallet. I use 4oz for the outside there and normally do not do any tooling, though I have. Again, I use 2oz for the interior. I like to cut a U shape out of the center of the wallet, so where it folds, it is only the outside piece of leather. It cuts down on the bluk and makes it easer to put bills in and take them out.

This is all about 2.5oz. it comes in right at 1mm. It's a little bulky for me but it could hold 20 cards or more I bet. I stuffed it with 18 and it seemed like it has a little more room in there somewhere. The wallet I carry is made from 1.75oz goat and I love it.

New Prototype Wallet