Sign in to follow this  
Scary Leatherworks

advise on a seat

Ok I just got another seat to recover. I didn't know all the specifics on the seat I had been thinking it was a solo seat. Its for a military guy in Iraq. His buddies are fixing up his bike for a surprise when he returns (my brother being one of the buddies). This seat is a Mustang for a full dresser and the pan is metal and seat and passenger seat are all one big pan. not able to separate them for covering. Has anyone ever done a seat like this? I need to somehow get the new cover down in between the seats.

IMG_0053.JPG

Thanks in advance. P.S. anyone have an entire elephant hide? I'm gonna need it to cover this monstrosity

Scott

post-6407-1233624319_thumb.jpg

Would you happen to have a picture of the under side of the seat by chance.

Are you planning on doing a carved/tooled style seat for him.

Ok I just got another seat to recover. I didn't know all the specifics on the seat I had been thinking it was a solo seat. Its for a military guy in Iraq. His buddies are fixing up his bike for a surprise when he returns (my brother being one of the buddies). This seat is a Mustang for a full dresser and the pan is metal and seat and passenger seat are all one big pan. not able to separate them for covering. Has anyone ever done a seat like this? I need to somehow get the new cover down in between the seats.

IMG_0053.JPG

Thanks in advance. P.S. anyone have an entire elephant hide? I'm gonna need it to cover this monstrosity

Scott

I get requests for seats like that on occaision, I usually send it to Roger and let him handle it. He's about the only one I know who would know what to do with that.

Dave

Actually, it's not as tough as it seems. I know most leatherworkers think veg tan, but it's very do-able with upholstery leather. The easy way to get a new look is to do the top in a textured leather, like alligator embossed cowhide, and the sides in a complimentary smooth leather.

Take the old cover off and make your pattern from that. Just treat the seat and p-pad as seperate patterns. I'd can the button tufting too.

You'll see that the single pan isn't a problem when you take the old cover off.

I don't know how good you are with foam, but another option is to use the pan and completely replace the foam and sculpt it to a more pleasing, sleeker shape. That way, you can eliminate the seperate p-pad and do it all in one piece.

Even if you were thinking of a tooled top, you can still use 2/3 oz chrome tanned leather for the sides. There are a million things you can do with a seat like that - inlays are another option.

Good luck

Here's a couple of examples of seats I did recently. The faux aligator was on a pan I molded on the bike, and the other monster is a faux python inlay. The last is a baby caiman inlaid.

Steve_M_s_seat_5.JPG

Scotts_seat.JPG

croc_seat1.JPG

post-6120-1233667577_thumb.jpg

post-6120-1233667623_thumb.jpg

post-6120-1233667700_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ian

here's the pics of the bottom of the seat. I am palnning on tooling a top for it. It's supposed to be his tattoo. I was asked to do it all black but also said to do what looks best. the bike will be flat silver. I'm try to get a light grey by thinning some fiebings black to use for the anchor and gear. maybe a cordovan for the life ring. Any suggestions would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Scott

IMG_0057.JPGIMG_0056.JPGIMG_0055.JPGTattoo_1_.jpg

post-6407-1233803167_thumb.jpg

post-6407-1233803176_thumb.jpg

post-6407-1233803183_thumb.jpg

post-6407-1233803250_thumb.jpg

ok one more question. this one is more of a poll. Since the passenger seat is so large and the tooling pattern would fit either driver's seat or pass. seat where would you place it it you had the choice?

Personally I think it would depend on how much 2up riding he does. If its alot then dont matter and probably put it on the front, if he doesnt do much then I would put it on the back so it stayed nice for as long as possible.

Maybe add some design too which ever side doesnt get the main design.

I recently "shaved" some foam out of one of these beasties and added 2" neoprene lumbar to the monster (short rider 4'something tall) although the pan was fiberglass. From the looks of it you will have a heck of a time with the curvature of the main seat the buttons are there for a reason they actually pull the cover to the contour. also you are faced with the fact the seat is a very soft pad of sponge on top of the actual medium density foam.. I would take the covers off one at a time and pattern from them, coloration and carving should be easy compared to the actual making of the cover. the buttons pose a special little problem as they are a necessary evil...no easy way out here sorry....
on the plus side the passenger and main seat are two separate covers so it is doable....

Edited by stealfdawg