ozzie111

How Do You Carry/store Your Tools

Ok,

So here is the situation. I have actually progressed in my leather working journey to the point that I need a new way to carry my tools, and

a place to store them.

I have been using a couple of wooden cigar boxes to store my tools in, but that has multiplied into 4 seperate boxes, and none large enough for my

maul.

In the past I have seen everything from simple leather rolls through ornate wooden chests.

My questions is for those that have solved the issue with experience. What do you use to store and transport your tools?

Ideally I would love to see photos of how you solved this issue.

In my mind I would like to build something, but would rather not reinvenmt the wheel. I'm sure the collective intellegence, and experience here will have some great ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ozzie111

Harbor Freight has some nice boxes that you can actually lock, so the nosy child cant get inside and cut their hand off. http://www.harborfreight.com/17-3-4-quarter-inch-x-12-3-4-quarter-inch-x-5-3-4-quarter-inch-aluminum-case-35777.html

Apparently they are on sale too $25 is a pretty good price. If the link doesnt work, search on their website for tool box and at the bottom, there are two different sizes of Aluminum Cases. These have lots of sections that you can actually change the size of, and lots of slots for tools, pencils, etc.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for,

CW

Hi Ozzie,

Here is something that might be just what you are looking for: http://www.hidestoart.com/hides_to_art_web_014.htm it's a nice wooden tool box made by HTA. It's not cheap,,, but it might be what you need. Ed

Tackle boxes (for fishermen) come in handy sometimes as well. I have a roll meant for wood working tools that I put my stamping tools into for short trips. Works out good, but no place for a hammer/maul in there.

I just use a large tackle box that I got on sale at Bass Pro.

Chris

post-15942-001017100 1289417766_thumb.jp

Thanks for the replies folks.

Bearman, That's really the direction I am looking. Those toolboxes are not cheap, but I know what it takes to make one.

At that price they are priced pretty well.

I like the way they look.

The tackle box idea is a good one, but I think I want something made out of wood, or leather.

Builderodstuff, how do you handle your stamping tools?

Please keep the ideas coming. I really appreciate everyones input.

I no longer use this type but if you were wanting something to carry around then here's an idea. There were a couple of articles in older leather magazines about them. It is a Sears toolbox. The top is deep enough to have stamps stand up. I wouldn't do individual holes but maybe larger ones where you could put several in each hole. It also has a couple of drawers that you could use for maul and such. Just another possibility as you look.

My stamping tools are now in multiple racks that have larger holes. You can find these in other threads.

post-9-052001400 1289432298_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Ben

P.S. Here's a couple of threads on caddys/racks...

Thread 1

Thread 2

Edited by gtwister09

I guess it would depend on the traveling that you will be doing. Are you flying, driving, etc? Are you going to events, or vacationing? Does it need to be lockable? How much protection will it need to give the tools?

I had a bunch of tools set up in a large aluminum suitcase for the cub scout day camps. It had plenty of room for the tools, boards, 26 mallets, etc.

I am at a point where I will just be setting up a stationary area to do my work. If I need to go somewhere I have a couple of cases that came with some used tools I picked up.

I need a way to carry my tools for a couple of reasons.

Right now I do not have a dedicated bench, so I need a way to carry my tools to the counter where I work temporarily, and

the back to the storage area when Momma needs the space.

I also need to carry them to workshops, and on vacation, but not traveling by airlines.

It does not need to lock.

I want to carry my head knife, a few knives, and edgers, my maul, sewing accessories, and my stamping tools.

I want everything to be secured,and not banging around too much.

What are your collective thoughts regarding a single hole in a block for each tool vs large holes for groups of stamps?

I think I'd really like to build something out of wood.

I have one homemade wooden case that came with some tools I bought years ago. Basic square box with a hinged lid. In the top of the box is a sectioned tray that can be lifted out to get to the stamping tools below. Each one has its own hole to go into.

I like the single holes, as it helped me notice any missing tools at the end of an event. The only problem that I have with them is not all tools have the same diameter handles. Some tools would flop around in holes for larger stamps, while bigger stamps won't fit into the smaller holes. I didn't make the case, but I may have looked at something that was adjustable to hold the tools in, and allowing for changing tools from time to time.

If I get a chance this weekend I will post some pictures.

I have one homemade wooden case that came with some tools I bought years ago. Basic square box with a hinged lid. In the top of the box is a sectioned tray that can be lifted out to get to the stamping tools below. Each one has its own hole to go into.

I like the single holes, as it helped me notice any missing tools at the end of an event. The only problem that I have with them is not all tools have the same diameter handles. Some tools would flop around in holes for larger stamps, while bigger stamps won't fit into the smaller holes. I didn't make the case, but I may have looked at something that was adjustable to hold the tools in, and allowing for changing tools from time to time.

If I get a chance this weekend I will post some pictures.

I just thought of this, it might work, If you take two pieces of thinner wood to drill all the holes for the punches, drill them together so they are exactly the same and make the holes large enough to fit any, then sandwich a piece of foam rubber in between the two pieces of wood and cut a slit in each hole, that should keep the punches from moving around a whole lot and you'll only need one size. I didn't think of that when I made my rack but it's not really a big deal for me as I don't really move my stuff much.

Well I had a spare hour today and got around to building a tool rack. 1.5 inch diameter PVC pipe, 1/2 inch plywood, and a handfull of screws. I cut 1.5 inch diameter PVC pipe into 3.75 inch lengths using a chop saw and stop block. Ripped some scrap plywood into a strip 3.75 inches wide. Arranged the PVC tubes into a rectangle. Cut the plywood strip into 4 lengths that formed a 4 sided box around the tubes. Cut a piece of 1/2" plywood and screwed to the box to make a bottom. Propped up the box until I found an angle I liked. Cut some plywood into triangles and screwed to the side of the box to form supports. Stained the whole mess since the plywood was left over from several other projects and the stain helped to blend it all together.

Turns out the angle I liked is 45 degrees. You can turn the tool rack over and it is the same since both angles are 45 degrees. You could join the triangle supports and the short side of the box into a single 5 side house shape and save some lumber and screws. You could also make the "roof" of the house shaped piece have different angles, 45 and 60 degrees?, so you could have the box lay down or sit up more depending on which "roof" was being used.

All the tools have reflective orange tape for identication and retrevial. I teach stamping to Boy Scouts, often in the woods, on a picnic table, over leafs and other debris. The orange tape makes it easier to find any dropped tools. The reflective nature also helps for a second check at night. Shine a flashlight under the tape and sift through the leaves. The tape reflects the light back aiding in recovery.

Overall, maybe not the prettiest but it is functional. There is room to add many more tools. I can change the sorting of the tools easily. Cost to me was zero since it was made from leftover materials in the garage from other projects.

post-8554-050652100 1323313348_thumb.jpg post-8554-081366300 1323313356_thumb.jpg post-8554-051009300 1323313367_thumb.jpg post-8554-022666200 1323313381_thumb.jpg post-8554-027769600 1323313391_thumb.jpg post-8554-048259000 1323313399_thumb.jpg post-8554-083164500 1323313414_thumb.jpg

Bit late to the party, but, figured I would throw this in