Buddahcjcc

How To Apply Acrylic Resolene By Hand?

It says spray, thought that meant with a spray bottle, but now Im seeing people were talking about airbrushes. How do you do it by hand?

I use a wool dauber. ..A small paint brush..or an old rag like a lint free tee shirt. Thin 50/50 with water and put it on very thin. Most of the time I put at least 3 or 4 thin coats on my holsters.

Agree with Troy, except I almost always use a THIN piece of cloth folded a couple of times. a thick cloth holds more and I prefer to lay 2 - 5 very light coats allowing them to dry between.

If you want to pray on a real budget, try a Preval unit. Tandy, SLC, eve Home Depot has them. Be sure to spry some cleaner -Alcohol - Watr through it when finished.

If you like it, you can invest in an airbrush setup pretty cheaply from Harbor Freight

Go to the hardware store (or Harbor Freight if they are nearby) ask for a cheap (emphasis on cheap, cheap, cheap) 1 inch bristle brush. HF has them for about 50 cents each, . . . in quantity.

Anyway, . . . thin it down 50/50 water and Resolene.

Dip the brush in & get a good brush full, . . . start stroking it on the project, . . . add more, . . . add more until as you are brushing left, right, up, down, and crossways, . . . you are developing what looks like a froth, . . . not too deep, . . . just a bit of a froth.

Now, quit adding material, . . . brush it out. Make sure you are in a good light, . . . tip it back and forth a bit, . . . make sure you wetted it all down real good.

Keep brushing until all the little bubbles are gone. Brush left, right, up, down, crossways, . . . continuously until the bubbles disappear.

Use light strokes, . . . you are not painting, . . . you are petting the thing with a paint brush as you finish up.

For holsters, . . . I do the inside first, . . . then stick my fingers inside (wearing a latex glove to keep that sticky stuff off my hands) and hold it up to the light as I continue my work.

NOW, . . . here's where the fun comes in. I cannot explain how much to use, . . . you'll have to make up a couple sample pieces to test. Make sure you dye them the most used color you run across. Follow the obove instructions, . . . hang it up, . . . let it dry for about 24 hours, . . .

THEN, . . . bend the devil out of it. If your topcoat breaks like the chocolate covering on an ice cream bar, . . . you put too much on. Back off a bit. If it is nice and flexible and doesn't break, . . . you did it right.

At least that is my method, . . . YMMV.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yeah sorry, should have said what I was making -.- Bracers

IYiAslC.jpg

Thats it drying from the dye

Edited by Buddahcjcc

I mix it 50/50 with water and spray a very light coat with a spray bottle. Something like a Windex bottle that has a light misty spray pattern. Don't hold it directly over the item but use a sweeping motion when spraying. Adjust the item and hit it from more than one angle/side as necessary. Don't worry if you see a small bubble or two, they go away as the item dries. After 20 to 30 minuets spray on a second coat. Give it another 30 minuets or so (I live in the desert so my time between coats may be a little faster than some) and give it another coat if necessary. I take the top off of the bottle and run/spray hot water through it between coats so it does not clog up the sprayer.

This also works just as well with a 50/50 mix of Mop and Glo and water. As always your mileage may very so if in doubt, try it first on a piece of scrap that you have treated the same as the item you are working on.

Jon

Be sure to buff the crap out of that dye first. It won't matter as much since that piece is a solid color. I finally broke down and bought an airbrush because it always seemed to bleed into the other colors when I applied resolene with a cloth. Then later I realized it was because I wasn't buffing it enough.

Be sure to buff the crap out of that dye first. It won't matter as much since that piece is a solid color. I finally broke down and bought an airbrush because it always seemed to bleed into the other colors when I applied resolene with a cloth. Then later I realized it was because I wasn't buffing it enough.

Yessir, . . . been there, . . . done that, . . . what Renee said is on the money.

No, . . . you don't want to know how I know for sure what she said is right :bawling:

May God bless,

Dwight

I am fairly new. But what I di is mix 50/50 an apply very thin coats with a damp sponge. let dry between coats, apply as any coats as you desire to get the sheen you are looking for. As Renee said buff the crap out of dye piece before appling