I'm new to the leather world and have a question. I am into making molded holsters, and they need to be stiff to hold hold the weapon, if i use Neetsfoot oil lightly will it soften up the leather or just condition it? I use 50/50 Mop and Glow for my finish and like the results I would hate to go to all the work to get one to fit well and then loose the necessary stifness because of the oil. Also can i buy Neetsfoot oil from the local hardware store as long as its 100% neetsfoot oil. thanks in advance for any help, Richard U[

post-18372-0-69854500-1366996641_thumb.j

Some people swear by a coat of neatsfoot oil before the final finish.

Some people swear AT a coat of neatsfoot oil before the final finish.

I've done it both ways, . . . and I haven't lived long enough to see what the outcome will be in 5, 10, 15 or 20 years.

My decision is based on which stain I use. If it is an oil based stain, . . . I don't use the oil. If it is not oil based, . . . I "most generally" do give it a quick coat, on the hair side, one smooth pass with the paint brush, lightly dipped, . . . and leave it out to come back to the original color before doing anything else to it.

In answer to your unasked question: yes, . . . too much oil can make the holster a throw away, . . . good for absolutely nothing.

May God bless,

Dwight

second that, dye has alcohol in it...even oil dye has a it of it...that dries the leather out....so using neatsfoot oil is a good thing...but very thin coat and use comon sense....and yes it will ruin a 100 dollar holster in no time if dunked in oil!!