orangezzzzz

Steering Wheel Leather Wrap Question

I am planning to buy a Wheelskins leather wrap for my car steering wheel and would like to try doing something special with it, so I need some advice.

The leather wrap is black, but I want to use blue thread for the stitching to give the car a sportier look. I have done this type of project once before with a previous car, but I used the regular black thread provided by Wheelskins. The only thing I know about that thread was that it was waxy and quite strong. I had to pull very hard on it to get the wrap tight on the steering wheel. My hands were sore and blistered afterwards (note to self: wear gloves next time).

What I need to know is, what type of thread should I use for this project? It would need to be strong, colorfast, and not loosen up or stretch over time. I have found websites that sell waxed blue thread, but offer it in different materials (e.g., waxed polyester, waxed Irish linen) as well as different sizes. I just don't know what to choose and I don't want to have to redo it because I remember what a pain it was to do it the last time.

Edited by orangezzzzz

This is hardly an expert opinion, but no one else has given one. Get a bonded nylon thread. It is strong and won't stretch out on you down the road. The larger the number the bigger the diameter of thread. So depends on how much color you want showing, maybe 137 (I think) If you have no idea whatsoever, I can send you a few sizes to see what is what and you decide what you like. It is not waxed to just get some beeswax and run it through a few times and then you should be in the same place you were with your black thread before. Oh yeah, gloves or leather fingers, worth the trouble and cost! I have never done what you are up to, but from what you have described this should work. (Many thread companies out there. I like Wawak, but not sure about color selection)

To me, . . . the easy way would to buy both a black one and a blue one. You will get THE perfect thread that way.

Take the blue one with the black thread, . . . sell it on Ebay, . . . chalk up the difference as the price of having the "blues" in your car :cowboy:

May God bless,

Dwight