rktaylor

Floral Spur Strap

I would say this is my first attempt at floral design, but it's just the first one I haven't tossed out. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Randy

post-46116-0-46211200-1418600965_thumb.j

I'm definately not an expert but it looks very good to me!

Chris

Looks good Randy. Now it is time to apply it to leather! Take your time and do it justice.

Bob

Perhaps aother leaf, or two, under the middle flower to balence out the background area

Randy,

I am impressed! Looks awesome :)

I like the flow, I constantly struggle to get 'flow' when i try to create a floral pattern. Be nice to see this when its all tooled up!

Regards,

Ron

Thanks for the comments. I already have more spur straps than I have feet, but I need the practice. I have always struggled with flow as well until I had an aha moment on these. I have Bob Parks' book and attended a seminar at the Wichita Falls show. I think the part that I couldn't grasp is that when folks talk about flow, it seemed backwards to me. Backwards in that the flow arrows go the opposite direction that plants grow. I am just a little hard headed, but based on my father and son I believe it's genetic.

Randy

The design is quite good but I have an extra challenge for you. Think of the way that the strap passage and buckle placement are going to go on the piece and think about making a layout that flows from that rather than gets covered up by it.

Thanks Slick and Oltoot,

I was going to add more leaves, but got hung up trying to get the flow right. Now that I have a better feel for flow, I'll give it a shot. Then I'll tackle the buckles and slots.

Randy

Looks good, make sure to post a picture when its complete

Well here it is. Let the fur fly. I give it a passing grade, but it didn't set the curve that's for sure. I'm going to give Oltoot's challenge a go. As Bob Parks says, there's a difference between what you can draw and what you can carve.

Randy

post-46116-0-33400200-1419369816_thumb.j

Edited by rktaylor