LoyalNine

Decorative Belt Stitching

OK - quick question. Sometimes I see decorative stitching on a belt that looks sort of like a more pointed figure 8. How do you go about doing that? Is a template used or is there another method to ensure it looks proper? I would like to do this sort of thing

. opplanet-bianchi-b9-fancy-stitched-belt-

Thanks!

-Joe

Seriously, . . . I would have to write a book to tell you how I lay this out, . . . and I don't do very many of them either.

BUT, . . . the whole secret is in the layout, . . . that particular belt has (the way I count it) 7 sections and the tongue.

My template is a piece of manila folder, . . . cut out to the shape of the part circle, . . . and folded so it rides on the edge of the belt.

I would outline the belt tongue area first, . . . then divide up the rest of the belt back to the buckle, . . . in this case, . . . by 7. Using my calculations and my specs, . . . the tongue area would be 9 inches from tip of belt back to the center of the first little diamond shape. If it was a true 40 inch belt I would be making, . . . that would leave 31 inches, . . . then minus 2 for the buckle, . . . it is 29 inches, . . . divided by 7, . . . is 4 inches, . . . (the extra 1 inch is hidden behind the belt tongue when it is buckled).

I'd make my oval shaped piece that would span that 4 inches, . . . lay it along the bottom, . . . trace the bottom pieces, . . . turn it over, . . . trace the top pieces, . . . get a cup of coffee, . . . take a break, . . . then go to sewing.

I really don't like doing these, . . . but will for a friend or a good customer. They are nerve wracking because one misplaced stitch and the whole thing goes into the scrap bin.

But have fun with it if you like, . . . just remember that the layout is the key to it, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

balckriverlaser.com has a template for doing the gunfighter stitch. They have a set for hand stitching and a set for machine stitching. Their prices are cheaper on their ebay site.

Before I got there templates I used a paper plate I laid plate on the belt and adjusted it to the arc that I liked then put marks on each side of the plate where the plate reached the edge of the belt. See Picture below. I would use an over stitch wheel and follow the edge of the plate marking my stitch line I would move the plate down the belt repeating until I peached the end of the belt I would then go down the other side of the belt repeating the process.

Here is the link to balckriverlaser ebay listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUNSLINGER-BELT-STITCH-PATTERN-TEMPLATES-LASER-CUT-ACRYLIC-3-BELT-SIZES-GBST-/130953970411

1st picture is the paper plate method, second plate is a belt using the paper plate template.

post-15001-0-41970800-1406245976_thumb.j

post-15001-0-93873300-1406247879_thumb.j

Edited by camano ridge

I have not had to do this pattern but when I have a complex stitch pattern I lay it out on Photoshop using 1-2 pixels for line width. I reverse the image if I am going for the grain side or keep it as is for the flesh side. If the design is symetrical, like this it doesn't matter.Then I simply print out the pattern with a laser printer. I align the pattern, toner side down and hold it in place with masking tape. I then use a dauber and wet the back of the paper with acetone then applying pressure with a bone creaser and carefully remove the paper and you will have a perfect pattern on the leather.

Then I will use a groover over the lines if they are on the grain side and I'm ready to stitch.

Cya!

Bob

You can also go the low-tech route. It's pretty easy to lay out this pattern using part of a dinner plate for your template. The stitches are actually laid out in overlapping circular arcs. You do have to be careful of the diameter of the plate given the length of your belt. Practice on scrap paper until you get it right.

Give it a try. You'll only be out some pencil lead and scrap paper if you don't like the result. And if you do, you will derive a good deal of satisfaction having made your own pattern the old fashioned way.

Michelle