sly

Using A Press For Forming Wet Leather.

Has anyone used a press, like a press used for kydex forming or a book press, for molding leather? I have seen a few posting on various forums stating it can be done for greater detail than hand forming the wet leather.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Has anyone used a press, like a press used for kydex forming or a book press, for molding leather? I have seen a few posting on various forums stating it can be done for greater detail than hand forming the wet leather.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Your post got me to thinking about another process called vacuum forming that is used for the production of products like spas, car dashboards, etc. I would think that a vacuum pump with enough suction power would be able to form wet leather around whatever object was placed under it and would be the cat's meow when making holsters for example.

Your post got me to thinking about another process called vacuum forming that is used for the production of products like spas, car dashboards, etc. I would think that a vacuum pump with enough suction power would be able to form wet leather around whatever object was placed under it and would be the cat's meow when making holsters for example.

Vacuum forming works very well for leather. Do a search in the holster section for a number of posts o n the subject.

For small items you can use a wood form and wood workers vice.

I use this method for forming molded pouches.

Vacuum forming works very well for leather. Do a search in the holster section for a number of posts o n the subject.

Thanks for the tip. I found a great u tube video that 'splains' the process.

Mike

Thanks for the tip. I found a great u tube video that 'splains' the process.

Mike

Mike

With all due respect those u tube videos are exactly how not to do it. You don't soak the leather for 5 minutes. The bag needs to be clamped to the table and you need to use a platnen inside the bag not that mesh this guy is using. Seriously do a search here on leatherworker in the holster section for vacuum to find post myself and particle have done.

Another retired LE

Dennis

This thread went southward to vacuum forming, and originally was asking about using a press...

Is anyone adept at using a press forming method?

Thanks,

Jake

This thread went southward to vacuum forming, and originally was asking about using a press...

Is anyone adept at using a press forming method?

Thanks,

Jake

Sorry about that although vacuum forming is a method of pressing. The kydex presses will not work well. Some folks use a book press and like them, most use a hydraulic press. The standard for rubber is the 40 durometer gum rubber about 12X12X1". Pressing only exposes the lines so that the detail can be hand boned into the holster with either vacuum or direct pressure.

Having owned both, . . . done both, . . . I can personally attest that you will get a much tighter fit with vacuum forming.

My press has an 8 ton hydraulic jack, . . . and a couple of 12 x 12 x 3/8 inch steel plates, . . . and I used the aforementioned 40 durometer rubber.

My vacuuum outfit is a pump from Harbor freight, . . . and a $15 piece of vinyl from JoAnn fabrics turned into a bag. The first holster I made with it, I eased the 1911 out of the holster, . . . let it dry for a couple of days, . . . had to force the gun into it to test the fit, . . . thought I would have to cut it off to get my gun back.

For holster work, . . . fingers are actually faster than the press or the vac, . . . for me.

May God bless,

Dwight