Leatherpownder

Using Up The Pieces

That is really nice...how do you dye your rawhide? What size strings are those?

Really nice & a good way to use short pieces. Buck

Nice! What do you do with the ends, so nothing can come loose?

Thanks. But sorry, I'm missing something - run under strings, wouldn't it just be loose there in the center? Or are you going "between" some strings (under some over some) if that makes any sense? Come up to the outside of the knot then cut off?

That is very nice.

I'm not smellin' what you're stepping' in. The tail end should meet where the start end is so I go over the start end with the tail end but under three strings of the knot. All the strings should be tight. All there is under this knot is a leather collar and I tie the knot on the collar while it is on a 3/4" x 4" wood dowel.

Tracym -- If I've understood the books I've read correctly, you basically continue the pattern right on top of the standing end, running it under three strands (at least), then cut the excess flush.

...again -- if I'm understanding all these books correctly.

Ohh on top of the standing end. Got it now - thanks to both.

Leatherpownder, is that a type 1 4-pass pineapple knot or type 3? Can you recommend a tutorial for that one, please?

It is four passes but I don't know a tutorial for it sorry. Did you figure out three passes or is it still giving you fits?

I think I have the three pass one down now. The over/under list in the link in my first post in that thread was complete trash. I watched the YouTube video posted in the thread and was able to do it and transcribed the correct O/U in my notebook. I'd love to move on to the four-pass like this one...

Also, just tied the Horn knot for the first time just now.

OK, well if anyone else can point me to a good tutorial (or at least the over/under pattern) for this knot, I'd really appreciate it.

Edited by TXAG

Is this the same knot?

http://pineappleknot...g-90281932.html

http://pineappleknot...g-90295289.html

http://pineappleknot...g-90544613.html

If so, how do you get two lines of each color instead of every color alternating, one per row?

(Course...these were done by the same guy that did the one I tried to use for two weeks that never worked...so who knows...)

Edited by TXAG

I'm starting to get these pineapples - I found for me, looking at the photos/video, and 'seeing' the pattern I was following rather than actually the o# u# worked better. The sequences were helpful if a question, but I found visualizing it, and deciding what strings I was following, splitting, etc was easier and more reliable.

Yeah, I still need the O/U so if anyone can confirm the links on the last post of the first page are for the same knot, I would appreciate it.

Also need to know how to get two colors together, alternating...the links to the tutorial I found alternate colors every string instead of every two strings.

I'm probably not helping, as it's not the O and U. But to keep the two colors together, it looks to me like you would basically just "follow" the string of the same color, if that makes any sense. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm probably not helping, as it's not the O and U. But to keep the two colors together, it looks to me like you would basically just "follow" the string of the same color, if that makes any sense. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think that will work as it wouldn't follow the same pattern...hard to explain, but doing it that way would basically make another run parallel to the first one, but not following the same pattern. That probably doesn't make any sense...I'd need to do it both ways on a mandrel and show you the difference to explain it better.

I know what you mean, it's not just doubling the string, but following it around duplicating the pattern. But maybe I'm wrong, I'll have to give it a try when I have time.

Sure wish I could find a good tutorial for this one...spent most of the entire day today scouring the internet and YouTube for one. Nothing useful found. :(

I did finish that four pass type 3 pineapple knot and it does not look the same as this one.

Can someone please tell us if this is a type 1 (or some other type) and what the base knot is? 5Lx4B? 7Lx6B? Something else?

Edited by TXAG

It is. The first two passes are of died rawhide and the next two are of natural colored rawhide.

Sorry-answering the colored pattern from the first page.

Edited by Leatherpownder

From playing around with the pineapple knots, it seems like the pattern is the same no matter what the base knot. To get the two passes next to each other to be the same color, you'd just change the order you do the colors - do two passes in a row of the same color. Which, lol, I find a bit more difficult to keep track of though. Is this correct folks - basically follow the string above the current pass, but splitting pairs when you come to them, and going under the "X" at the edges?

The different "types" of pineapple knots are very different though...the one I did last night doesn't look anything like the one here.

Sure would like to know specifically which knot this is. I find it hard to believe that no one can name it, given the expertise on here. That leads me to think it's another one of those "secrets". :(

Edited by TXAG

Tracym -- the number of x's you go through on each side is apparently determined by the "type" of knot...the one I did last night, I didn't go through any after an "up" half cycle and went through three x's at the end of the "down" half cycle...

Unrelated, but I am shocked that no one can/will tell me what this specific knot is. :thinking:

Edited by TXAG