I searched and couldn't find an answer, but when I hand stitch, the wax from the thread builds up on the leather and I don't know how to remove it so the dye can soak in. I have tried deglazing stuff, but it doesn't do the job, or I didn't use it right. You would think I would already know this, but I don't.

Is anyone going to help me with this?

Dye the leather first, sew it second? Sorry for not being much help, but I do not have another answer to your question.

Thanks. I was hoping there was another answer. I did dye the last two I made first. It looks like that is what I will have to continue doing.

If you want your thread to stand out, dying it first is a good idea anyways. You might try using non-waxed thread, just wax it yourself. You will have far less wax to deal with getting all over the place.

Aaron

If you want to reduce wax on heavily waxed thread, the best way is to wrap the strand of thread in plain brown paper and pull it through. The coarseness of the paper with remove a great deal of excess wax.

I have had the same problem when I first started , but here is what I do and it has been working for me with no problems , when im stitching , i just have a towl on hand to wipe up the build-up every inch or so of stitching , and it has never back fired oon me , what had happened was when it was in the stitching vise , some of the wax got on the vise mouth leather and i didnt know it and when i repostioned the piece and clamped down , it impregnated the wax resude on the piece and I did not know it , until i dyed it and ruined it , now I just LIGHTLY wipe down just the sewen line , I dont have that problem , and I even goes away more when I heat dry it in the oven , hope this helps any

ben

Here is what I did from day one. I never had an issue nor did I know there was potential for an issue.

first I dye my leather.

When I string the thread into the needle, I pull the thread all the way through the needle, at an angle so the eye of the needle scrapes off excess thread. I do this 3 or 4 times at least. Then I take a piece of denim or canvas and burnish the thread, pulling it through the denim I am pinching down on the thread with, VERY quickly, pinching hard, so that it creates heat and sets the wax. I do this 4 or 5 times too.

This should solve your problem.

Thanks, I will try a couple of the ideas presented here.