Sign in to follow this  
Athenah

Western Saddle Bags

Hi all, First project post ever.

This is my very first big project, I have been working on leather since christmas (belts, small bags, a wallet, etc.), so when you see a lot of mistakes (I do) please understand I am still a total newbie.

The Project: I wanted saddle bags that were taller and more slender to hold a water bottle or two upright to discourage leeks. The pouches are going to be about 8 by 11. I made the pattern based on my own saddle, designed the tooling pattern, then learned how to do all that sinue sewing... These bags are for myself, and why I wanted to learn how to deal with leather. I have a newfound and profound respect for those that can hand sew so beautifully! I havent managed to bleed on anything yet, but did poke myself a couple times. After finishing the sewing on this one half of the project my hands hurt so bad I had to have my husband peel the potatoes last night. So, here is what I have so far:

halfsaddlebag2.jpg

halfsaddlebag1.jpg

The other half of this is still needing to be sewn, but everything else is done...can't wait to finish but have to wait for my hands to work properly again.

Edited by Athenah

Nice and clean. Well done.

For your first project of this type, looks like a bang-up job to me! Wish my first project had been so good>

For your first project of this type, looks like a bang-up job to me! Wish my first project had been so good. You might want to check out some of the posts on here about finish cuts on your tooling!

very sweet

This is my very first big project, I have been working on leather since christmas (belts, small bags, a wallet, etc.), so when you see a lot of mistakes (I do) please understand I am still a total newbie.

The Project: I wanted saddle bags that were taller and more slender to hold a water bottle or two upright to discourage leeks. The pouches are going to be about 8 by 11. I made the pattern based on my own saddle, designed the tooling pattern, then learned how to do all that sinue sewing... These bags are for myself, and why I wanted to learn how to deal with leather. I have a newfound and profound respect for those that can hand sew so beautifully! I havent managed to bleed on anything yet, but did poke myself a couple times. After finishing the sewing on this one half of the project my hands hurt so bad I had to have my husband peel the potatoes last night. So, here is what I have so far:

The other half of this is still needing to be sewn, but everything else is done...can't wait to finish but have to wait for my hands to work properly again.

You have done an admirable job with one caveat. You do need to include what I call "Beauty Marks". The little cuts with your swivel knife to add character and volume to your design.

We have all been to the "Sore fingers/hands/wrist" place in the sky. Masking tape on your fingers helps a lot but some soothing hot water baths for your hands is about the only thing I can suggest.

It gets better.

ferg

Nicely done. As some of the other posts mentioned, I wish my first project would have been as nice. I started in November 2010. Looking forward to doing a project that is worthy of posting. Have fun!

Thanks guys for the sweet comments.

50's and BDT - Yes, I know I did not cut into my embossed flowers. The last time I did the "pretty cuts" on an item I really went to town and overdid it. So, since I am still learning I opted for the "Less is more" concept so I would not mess up all that leather. I only did a few leaves, not much, trying to keep it clean looking. I will practice more on smaller things, and mess those up instead :) But I do totally agree with you both. I think I forgot to cut anything on the flap :16:

Edited by Athenah

Yeah, they have their issues but I thought I should post the final thing anway. So my first big project is done, and I learned a LOT from it. They are useable, they fit my saddle, they look better than anything I could afford...so it's a win for me.

post-19407-072602100 1297989991_thumb.jp

post-19407-038115400 1297990009_thumb.jp

Yeah, they have their issues but I thought I should post the final thing anway. So my first big project is done, and I learned a LOT from it. They are useable, they fit my saddle, they look better than anything I could afford...so it's a win for me.

Athenah, looks like we hit the craft of leather working about the same time, December. I still can not cut a curve with the swivel knife. Your work is light years ahead of mine and you should be extremely proud of your progress. Those Saddle bags are beautiful.

Hello-a comment on your "sore hands". But first, nice job on the bags. I prefer hand-sewing most projects. One thing I did some years ago to help ease the "sore finger land", was buying a pair of relatively cheap, padded palm drivers gloves. I modified the gloves by cutting the fingers off at the knuckle, (just above your ring). I restitched the cut area for reinforcement. The padded palm acts great as a needle push, and the fingers makes a hug difference when tensioning the thread. I also cut the thumb completely out, and reinforced that area with a strap and glove snap. Hope this sort of makes sense.

halfsaddlebag2.jpg

halfsaddlebag1.jpg

I'd say you're off to a great start!! Don't worry... after a few years of leather working your hands will be dry and rough and calloused (and probably off colored from dyes)!!! Ha Ha! It's always when I'm headed to the shop that I think of the slathering of lotion my hands need ... and then I don't want to do it because I don't want to get it on my leather. You could buy gloves and modify them, cutting off all but the pinkies or you could just get medical tape and wrap them. The gloves were awkward for me and bandaids just don't stay put.

You're in great company and I wish I'd have known about this forum (if it existed) when I first started. It will greatly improve your learning curve.

Cant help with the sore hands issue, but the bags look very very nice.