cudofcow

What Tool To Use To Shave Leather For Buckles

I recently got a giant hide of 13-14oz leather that i will be using to make SCA armor. With that said, i'm trying to make straps to attach buckles to but the leather is very thick. I have the straps cut (used a strap cutter)

So, How do i go about shaving the leather down closest to the end where i will attach the buckles? Is there a tool that will help accomplish this? I've tried using a razor blade but this started to really hurt my fingers. Then i tried a wood lathe. That was not the easiest thing to use but i did end up taking a big chunk out of the table i was on... I tried to hammer the leather and that diddnt seem to do a thing. I wish i had a belt sander, that would probably do it but i cant really justify buying one just to make straps.

So how do i shave the leather down to a more workable thickness?

give these a look see. I have both and out of the two prefer the second one. Just seems to be more consistent and easier to control even though it's called a beveler it works nicely for skiving.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/3025-00.aspx?feature=Product_1&kw=skiver

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/3001-00.aspx

Agree with Spinner, I have both but prefer the 2nd one, it is easier to use and control and does a great job.

Ken

I started with the first one Spinner showed. I've since switched over to a trim knife like this.

Mine has no name on the handle but is probably a CS Osborne. Only cost about $12.

Once you learn how to get them sharp a trim knife like that can be awful handy to have around.

Dan

I use a sharp round knife, once you have it sharp enough it has sooo many uses.

Head Knife All The Way....