carr52

Project step by step photos

Well it's one way. The best way is to ask you guys. Cause your opinions and critiques means the most to me. I thought if it works for golfers who video their swing to analyze it then it should work for this. It seems that I always spot a goof up after I have already put a stain or finish on and then it's too late. Well anyway I took a simple pattern and gave it a try. Well it works pretty good and I thought I'd share the process with the group. I cant seem tp get all the pics in one post so I'll have to add another one.

Tom

step_by_step_pattern.pdf IMG_0002.JPG

step_by_step_pattern.pdf

post-6291-1238783782_thumb.jpg

Heres some more photos. I need to figure out how to get more of them in one post. Maybe set the camera a little lower.

Tom

IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0001.JPG

post-6291-1238784105_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1238784381_thumb.jpg

And more.

IMG_0002.JPGIMG_0003.JPG

post-6291-1238784569_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1238784613_thumb.jpg

Last but not least. By using the photos I caught that the bevel lines needed to be cleaned up so I used a modeling spoon to do that. If I had looked closer or paid more attention I would have seen it without the photos. But I didn't.

Tom

IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0001.JPG

post-6291-1238784713_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1238784768_thumb.jpg

Are you going to use a cammo tool on your flower petals?

Hi Tom,

I'm missing the modeling, maybe you do that later on?

Are you going to use a cammo tool on your flower petals?

OOPS, I knew there was something missing. Thank you.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm missing the modeling, maybe you do that later on?

Your right Tina I did miss a bunch of spots that need to be cleaned up with the modeling spoon. I did some of them but as you can see I missed some.

Tom

Here it is with a little camoflauge added to the petals and the beveling cleaned up a little more. I think I better quit while I'm ahead.

Tom

IMG_0003.JPG

post-6291-1238788993_thumb.jpg

Hi again:-)

I tried to do some explaining on the picture...

On the edges (I did my example in a redish color):

Use the modling tool.

I think you have used the camo tool in a straight angle type example 1, make the camo inprint like the example 2 in an angle, it makes it looks really good.

My 2 cents :blahblahblah::wave:

IMG_0003.JPG

post-5624-1238790109_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tina

Hi again:-)

I tried to do some explaining on the picture...

On the edges (I did my example in a redish color):

Use the modling tool.

I think you have used the camo tool in a straight angle type example 1, make the camo inprint like the example 2 in an angle, it makes it looks really good.

My 2 cents :blahblahblah::wave:

I will try that. And just so you know, your 2 cents is worth a lot to me. Thank you.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'll give you a few suggestions that you can try. These are things I'd do different from what you have done, that doesn't mean mine are right, just different.

Starting from the beginning. One the cut lines that end, I'd stop the cut shorter than you have on most of them. I cant tell from the picture if you have faded the lines out with the knife or not, but you should. If the cuts ended sooner, when you bevel them, you can continue past the end of the cut line and that will help them fade out even more.

I agree with what Tina is telling you about the camoflage work, especially on the scroll. I try and keep the outside tip of the inside curve of the cam (does that make any sense?) right on the line. Maybe you can see it on this picture. By keeping the edge of the cam on the line, it makes the scroll look almost scalloped instead of a straight edge.

Jake_s_stuff_017__Large_.jpg

The veiner you have tilted it and done a good job with it.

I just tried something different on the seed pods too. I don't like a sharp edge on them. I dont cut and bevel that line. On the last ones I did, I tried to shape them with a small pear shader to make it stand up, but without that sharp line.

Jake_s_stuff_013__Large_.jpgJake_s_stuff_014__Large_.jpg

I would do the pearshading on the flower petals a little different too. I don't care for the way you went across the tops of the petal (and again, that doesn't mean it's wrong, just different). I'd do another row of the pear shader impression down the center of the petals instead. If you want the shader to fill in more area, you can move it over to the side and hit it again to widen an impression. You might have to work at it to get it smooth, but it's not too hard to do.

Your backgrounding looks real nice. The only other thing I'd do is try and even out the beveling halo in that circle at the bottom that the flower comes out of. You are doing nice work, but you also seem to want it to get even better. I hope this gives you some ideas of things you can try.

post-12-1238806520_thumb.jpg

post-12-1238806875_thumb.jpg

post-12-1238807063_thumb.jpg

This is great. I already feel like I'm getting my head on straight about a lot of things. I'm going to try that same pattern again and I'd be willing to bet it will come out nicer looking because of you guys. Thank you for all the help. I want and need the critiques from all of you if I'm going to improve.

Tom

Good Morning Tom,

I agree whole heartedly with everything that Clay said. Far be it from me to critique anything of his! There are a few things I noticed also, First, it appears that some of your lines stop abruptly, and a little too long. I think they should fade out sooner. Secondly, it looks like some of the pear shading, isn't close enough, & evenly spaced from the edges. If that makes any sence. Also, it's really had to tell, but it looks like the leather was a little too dry, or you were a little hesitant about hitting the tools. I agree, You did very good with the veiner. Lastly, if You had a swivel knife with a thicker blade, that might be better for your finger (decorative) cuts. Also, when doing the cuts, remember to follow the flow. Keep up the good work! Ed

This is great. I already feel like I'm getting my head on straight about a lot of things. I'm going to try that same pattern again and I'd be willing to bet it will come out nicer looking because of you guys. Thank you for all the help. I want and need the critiques from all of you if I'm going to improve.

Tom

Well I started another one. As you can see I didn't pick out the best looking piece of leather but it'll do. OH yeah, it's heavier. The first one was about 4 oz. and this one is around 5-6 oz.

Tom

IMG_0001.JPG

post-6291-1238866261_thumb.jpg

Well I started another one. As you can see I didn't pick out the best looking piece of leather but it'll do. OH yeah, it's heavier. The first one was about 4 oz. and this one is around 5-6 oz.

Tom

IMG_0001.JPG

I still didn't get that part at the bottom quite right.

IMG_0001.JPG

post-6291-1238868536_thumb.jpg

I still didn't get that part at the bottom quite right.

IMG_0001.JPG

OK, heres the first half of it. Let me have it. Just cant seem to get the flow of the finger cuts. All things in time I guess.

Tom

IMG_0001.JPG

post-6291-1238897758_thumb.jpg