Sona

A New Sheath For A Larp-Seax (Yes... No Sax This Time ^^ )

So I got another order for a custom sheath for a larp-seax with some decent tooling: I know there might be just a few of you who are interested in the larp-scene, but as it is still some leatherwork, I´ll just post it here ;)
It´s lined with loden and made of 3,5mm cowhide. Colored, tooled and stitched by hand.

post-43350-0-92071800-1403441101_thumb.jpost-43350-0-77029800-1403441104_thumb.jpost-43350-0-38495500-1403441107_thumb.jpost-43350-0-61964100-1403441109_thumb.j

Good looking sheath, very nicely done.

Edited by camano ridge

Thx a lot for your kind words. Much appreciated!

Arley:
The sheath is carried on your left side rather than on your back. It´s mounted on a belt (that for are the loops).
The different sizes are to fit the angle the customer wants to wear it (should be about 30°), so it´s not horizontal!
I actually don´t really like the look of the longer loop and I am thinking about how to do this in a more beautiful way... but right now, I am happy with it ;)

... hee hee I figured it out about 5 minutes after I posted. So now I have another analogy. If the blade/knife fits in the sheath snugly, then it that it would require both hands to withdraw the knife from the sheath. ?

I haven't made anything in the last two years. The cost of leather now days is out of my budget. Leather is just too expensive now. I was only a hobbyist, making stuff for myself. I made a lot of holsters, belts, sheaths and tote bags for hiking.

I would like to see some of your other eye candy. Again, great job !

Recently I've began a new hobby. I'm buying plate high carbon steel to make knife blades. Creating my own blades via tempering the steel in a home brew forge, so on and so forth. I do have a little of excess leather on hand so I'll be able to make knife blades, handles and sheath. The complete package.

Haha, yeah I know this kind of insight moments ;)

Actually that "blade" fits really good, but it still got some space left to be moved in and out. It is mainly kept by the fitting form and the loden lining. That textile is thicker than cotton or linen and has some kind of a puffer that way. Besides that the "blade" (well... it´s still some foam covered with latex) slides gently through that loden. This way it doesn´t fall out if I turned it around, but it slides out smoothly if I wanna draw it. So all in all, there is no really "snug fitting" or friction at all, but I keep the sheaths as thin as possible and work as close to the seax as possible without creating friction.

For some kind of gallery of my stuff you might wanna visit Deviantart.com and look for sonadorexis ;) There´s still quite old stuff around... but I still like them ;)

Knifemaking is a nice hobby, too. Like it a lot and I wanna try it out one day. But right now I am stuck with leather ^^.

Very nice sheath! I'm not into larp, but I think larping is cool because people end up making awesome stuff for themselves and actually using it. Thanks for posting!

Haha, yeah that´s right. Actually that´s the reason I started doing leatherwork. And I got into making stuff for everyday-use, so it is totally worth it ^^. Thank you!

That looks great! Nice and simple design and a clean execution. Thanks for sharing!

Andy