Sign in to follow this  
ArcherBen

Building a Double Thickness Gun Belt

I'm thinking about building a 1 1/2" double thickness gun belt out of 6/7oz leather. When looking at sides the other day at my local supplier, he pointed out that the leather is thicker on end than on the other. As I recall, side was about thicker near the rump end and tapered down to the front shoulder. I've considered cutting two straps from one of these sides and reversing one of them when I put the two together to compensate for the thickness issue and so that it is put together with the grain of each piece opposite of the other. Is this typical of a side of leather, and would that approach be a typical approach, or should I look for a more consistent side or bend to build from?

If you're not going with a pre-cut blank, why not cut 2 strips at least 8-9 oz and simply spilt them That way you would have 2 strips exactly the thickness that you want.

pete

I guess I'm not familiar with the art of splitting them. What is splitting and how is it achieved?

I'm thinking about building a 1 1/2" double thickness gun belt out of 6/7oz leather. When looking at sides the other day at my local supplier, he pointed out that the leather is thicker on end than on the other. As I recall, side was about thicker near the rump end and tapered down to the front shoulder. I've considered cutting two straps from one of these sides and reversing one of them when I put the two together to compensate for the thickness issue and so that it is put together with the grain of each piece opposite of the other. Is this typical of a side of leather, and would that approach be a typical approach, or should I look for a more consistent side or bend to build from?

I ordered a bunch of 8-9 oz blanks and had them all split to 7 oz uniform throughout. They are beautiful and ready for me to work on when I get some time. They should produce some real nice double thickness belts.

BTW For the best leather for belts try getting some backs. A natural double bend is perfect for belts. You get a more uniform thickness and better quality (fewer defects, better strength etc.).

Don't forget to share some PIX!!

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

ArcherBen... i do know it is another place to buy from, but call Wickett & Craig

you can buy leather from them in various colors and to get the best deal,

get the saddle skirting and have it split to your exact weight that you would want.

fine folks to deal with.

Thanks for the replys and suggestions. I've looked at the Wickett & Craig website and seen that they will split a side of 8/10 oz Veg Tanned for no extra charge. It seems like Wickett & Craig is a common name on this site and that most people have said they produce some pretty nice leather. I'm going to give them a call and see what I can work out with them.

When making my gun belts I slice two straps off the side, then line them up reverse so to offset any imperfections/differences in the leather (grain and such).

Without a splitter, you're going to have a real tough time evening any piece of leather out to uniform weight.

I want to cut my own straps from my own side, its just my preference for belts. I know what the leather looks like and I can see first hand just what piece I'm getting.

I use Herman Oak and I've found it consistent, more so than others. I build a lot of holsters and HO molds very well.

Shorts,

Thanks for the advice. When I get around to making a belt (I've got a few other projects I want to get knocked out first) I plan on cutting two straps and then reversing them just like you are doing. In fact, I just cut two straps for a dog collar which I am doing that with also. As far splitting the leather, I've decided to order a side from W&C and have them split it to a uniform 7 oz. I just need to come up with a little bit of cash flow to get it coming. I've been impressed with the holsters that I've seen you produce and can only hope to achieve that quality in my own work one day. So far I've just been working from an innexpensive double shoulder that I picked up from the local leather shop. My next holster will be an Askins Avenger style cut from a new double shoulder I picked up a few weeks ago. I'm not sure of the tannery it came from, but I paid almost double for it and it looks like a lot nicer piece of leather. I'm looking forward to cutting into that piece of leather over the new year.

Excellent! :) Keep us posted! I've never used W&C. I guess one of these days I'll have to get a little and see how she goes.

Happy New Year!